Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • good machine for free motion quilting >
  • good machine for free motion quilting

• good machine for free motion quilting

Old 01-10-2012, 08:50 AM

I think Bernina makes the best, especially when using the BSR (Bernina Stitch Regulator) but if you have a budget in mind, ask to see "previously loved machines" which do come with a warrantee. Good luck!
    Old 01-10-2012, 09:40 AM

I'm learning quite a bit from the discussion. I have an FW and a 201-2. Can someone please recommend some good tutorials or U-Tube videos, I'd like to start doing FMQ with either of them.
    Old 01-10-2012, 09:52 AM
    Power Poster

Your Singer 201 is one of the best for free motion quilting. That said I have many vintage machines but I prefer to use my Janome 6500 , the forerunner of the 6600 and 7700. What I like is the knee lifter and automatic thread cutter and the larger throat area. I do believe there is a plain Janome that has those features. I actually do not drop my feed dogs but just set the machine to quilting, change the needle to a top stitch 9/14 and then free motion away. I do wear quilting gloves. Could not do without them.
    Old 01-10-2012, 10:03 AM

I'm glad my machine isn't a thread snob- I just can't afford it.
    The Bernina dealer tells me to only use things like Mettler- but so far it has sewn well with everything I've thrown at it.

I never buy the super cheap no name thread, but I have a HUGE amount of Dual Duty, and it sews that great. It also does really well with essential from Connecting Threads. And Isacord. Oh, and Mettler too.

I've also had no problems at all sewing with invisible thread (in both the bobbin and the top) and metallic thread (top only)
    Old 01-10-2012, 10:05 AM

I have not tried quilting on my machine - I have the Husqvarna Viking - SE - everyone at the LQS raves about it for quilting. What is the mega quilter? I've also got the "Quilting box" table, etc., and the mega hoop - is that all the mega quilter is? Sorry, I'm asking questions on top of questions.
    Old 01-10-2012, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by libber
    I'm learning quite a bit from the discussion. I have an FW and a 201-2. Can someone please recommend some good tutorials or U-Tube videos, I'd like to start doing FMQ with either of them.
    That makes two of us! But I'm feeling really happy at the moment, because I've just done some pretty good FMQ on my 201. I was having problems with loops underneath, but when I moved from a small practice piece to a bigger one with a lower loft batting, it all suddenly came right. I'm using gloves and a SuperSlider, because without them it was really hard to keep the fabric moving smoothly. My stitch size is still quite variable, because I'm not yet used to controlling the speed just from the foot pedal, but the tension is OK, which for me is the main battle won!
    Old 01-10-2012, 10:20 AM
    Power Poster

The Janome is a thread snob and I have to use Aurafil 50/2 for both the bobbin and the top thread. The vintage machines I use Aurafil 50/2 in the bottom and the cheap Walmart stuff in the top, Coats machine quilting. I do find the Coats for piecing is a bit thick and affects accuracy because it adds bulk to the seam.
    Old 01-10-2012, 12:36 PM

I have a Janome 1600P on my quilting frame..it is a great machine..just wished it had a deeper harp...but I can not afford to go to a bigger machine for all the quilting I do..
    Old 01-10-2012, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by littlesurfer
    I don't know anything about the new machnes and FMQ, but I noticed you have a 201. I've used my 201-2's for FMQ.
    I can do straight line quilting with my Singer 201k-(1treadle), haven't been able to get it to FMQ. The Singer 15 & 237 treadles do wonderful FMQ.
    Old 01-10-2012, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by VivianW
    I have not tried quilting on my machine - I have the Husqvarna Viking - SE - everyone at the LQS raves about it for quilting. What is the mega quilter? I've also got the "Quilting box" table, etc., and the mega hoop - is that all the mega quilter is? Sorry, I'm asking questions on top of questions.
    The Mega quilter is a 9" throat space, straight stitch only industrial machine, its fabulous for machine quilting. We used to sell them at the store where I work. OMG that machine ZOOOOOMS!!!! I like the SE for quilting too.