Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Unexpected Stash Inheritance == How would you handle it? >

Unexpected Stash Inheritance == How would you handle it?

Unexpected Stash Inheritance == How would you handle it?

Old 01-14-2012, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Deb watkins View Post
I agree with this. Trust that He has brought you to this, He will help you get through it.
I totally agree with Deb.
Old 01-14-2012, 02:08 PM

Wow sounds wonderful to me.
Old 01-15-2012, 03:57 PM

I noticed most of the comments say to donate it.
I do not know your situation, or why you are with you son... but if you are in need of cash, there is nothing wrong with sorting through it, keeping what you think you will want or need, and selling the rest of... be it on the net or at a flea market, yard sale, etc.

If you do not take it, what does she plan to do with it? If she is planning to just toss it, then yes, by all means, take it. You will have a better idea of what is worth keeping and what is considered trash.
Old 01-16-2012, 05:05 PM

When my sister's MIL had to go to a nursing home I was asked by my BIL to go through all of her quilting items - He didnt have a clue111 I live about 75 miles from them but went down to help - It took me about a week just to go through the many sacks etc stashed everwhere and trying to match things up - I did this so he could sell on ebay if he wanted - well when he saw the amount of the items he was overwhelmed - so being the kind SIL I took it home finished matching all the fabrics to the quilt patterns (she had many thimbleberry quilt kits that were bought by month and never put in the same place) also it didnt help that he had started to go through the various sacks with fabrics spilling out so he just put them in bigger bags!!) Long story short she had approx 300 books - kits too many to list (60 thinblebeery alone) and random cuts of fabrics. I brought it all home and sorted thru - had two sales here at the house - donated several sets of quilt blocks and several quilt kits to a local church and sold some opn ebay. I kept some blocks that had stories behind them and had quilts made for my sister, their son, and had one made for his mom made especially for her hospital bed in the nursing home. After all the quilting was paid for I still ended up sending him close to 3000 to help with medical bills and was able to keep a little for myself. It was alot of work but his mom was the first person who had taught me some basics so I could make my first quilt!!! I took me around 3 months to accomplish all of this but it was all worth it!!! Maybe the family needs funds or maybe they just want it to go to someone who can use it. Sell what you can for the family - donate to your local churches, etc. Please dont keep it just because its free!!! lol Let someone use it. There are soo many organizations that accept fabric for Linus etc I am sure you could find some locally. Good luck to you!!! Let us know what you decide
Old 01-16-2012, 07:08 PM

What a great opportunity to help your friend. I agree with the others that God may be giving you supplies to help yourself and plenty to share with others. Many church groups, local high school art programs and even home school co-ops would love freebies. But most of us do. Look at it as a blessing and have fun.
Old 01-16-2012, 09:41 PM

Good to know that quilters tend to think along the same lines. As the arrival happens I will let you know how things stand. The quilting will be two or three quilts that I can use the Bailey on Gracie at the LQS to FM quilt. Time is not the issue on those. As for the rest as it comes I will be able to sort through for various charities here and a few requests that I hope to be able to help out with. The woman who is gifting me is the type to go through it by herself before passing what she doesn't want on to me. As for selling it, I'm not sure that is the route to go in our area ---our county has been one of the highest unemployment rates in the state if not the country so would rather gift to the groups that make quilts for those in need around here. I will keep people updated on my blog here on the board.