Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is your opinion on Walmart's fabric and dept? >

What is your opinion on Walmart's fabric and dept?

What is your opinion on Walmart's fabric and dept?

Old 01-16-2012, 04:06 AM

Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt View Post
when my walmart had fabric BEFORE they removed it and brought it back they had 'better' fabric.. Now all we have is icky thin waste of money fabric..
I agree with luvTooQuilt. My Walmart does not have the same quality of fabric they had before they took it out. I have never bought much fabric from Walmart, but I thought at least some of their fabric was of pretty good quality before, and they had nice batting etc. Now, most of the fabric there is of poor quality, and color, and I saw no batting at all. Maybe it is different in some of their stores, but I have not seen any fabric in mine that I would have, since they brought it back.
Old 01-16-2012, 04:10 AM
Swap Hosts

What an animated discussion this is! I do shop at Walmart for fabric. There are three stores nearby but until they "brought back" the fabric, only one had fabric. Now all three have it, but I still buy at only one of them. I love the quilt of the month patterns they offer and have collected them for years.

As for the quality, for the most part, I've been very happy. The fabrics I choose have good weight and they do not fade, as someone suggested. One irritant was the discovery of a logo hidden in the fabric design of the fall prints. As far as comparing them to LQS fabric, I've seen the exact same fabric sold at Walmart offered at local LQS and by quilt show vendors. The exact same, not first run. The only difference was it was twice the price.

I am a thrifty shopper so I never pay more than $3/yd at Walmart. If it's $5-6, I leave it there until it comes down in a month or two. A few months back I made a great score at Walmart when I found some fabrics that were marked $5 for the bolt! It wasn't cotton for quilting - one was a heavy satin finish rayon that was perfect for making pouches for the veils I make and the other was a cotton/poly blend with a nice texture that I used to make napkins.

As for the service, that leaves much to be desired. There used to be a very friendly woman at the counter, but I guess she retired. Now, in general, there is no one. However after watching workers from other departments who can't figure out how to use a telzon - if there is one around - I now cut my own. All they do is take a sticker from a drawer, write the price per yard and the yardage on it and that's that. So if I can't find anyone, that doesn't stop me.

I also shop at Joann and love their red dot sales and coupons. There are a couple of LQS that I stop into on occasion, but the fabric looks like it has been there for decades and talk about flimsy! Thank you, no.

To the Walmart workers who have posted on this thread, I just want to say I'm sorry for the Walmart bashing.
Old 01-16-2012, 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by sammy89 View Post
I get a lot of fabrics and jellyrolls there on my weekly food shopping trip, need to get things they dont make me gain weight lol so far I am pretty happy with it.I do not buy the 1.50 fabric so. too thin
My Walmart doesn't have jellyrolls, or much of anything "extra". I have wondered if they have just not finished stocking the shelves, but their shelves in the fabric dept. seem to be full.
Old 01-16-2012, 04:24 AM

My WM has a some Minky, some upholestry, some satin, some sequin covered, a little blend, mostly cotten at $4-$6, a bargain section of $2. A total of 2 aisles. Their thread section is very small, no embroidery thread, some serger, Sometimes I can find a color in a cotton I like, sometimes I can't.
Old 01-16-2012, 04:38 AM

Our local WalMart closed the fabric area several years ago, but I would check it when I was in my planning stage. It was the ONLY place in town I could find black flannel...INCLUDING the LQS...who were rude when I asked for black flannel. Could not understand why I wanted to mix in the black flannel,,,,but tried to sell me some nasty looking black print.

Walmart BASHERS...Whether you like it or not,,,,The store is an American company...and employs ALOT of people who would not be able to get a job in any other retail stores, for a variety of reasons. Just remember your American made cars are made with foreign parts!
Old 01-16-2012, 04:46 AM

I don't buy it
Old 01-16-2012, 04:49 AM

To my surprise, our local WalMart had a collection of really lovely fabric this fall. It had such a great hand, I could not believe the quality. It was $5.47 a yard and worth every penny. I bought several yards of the collection, I liked it so much. Another WalMart in a neighboring city did not have this fabric until recently; I did see one bolt from the collection on their shelves.
Old 01-16-2012, 04:50 AM

I have had good luck at walmart and bad luck.
What kills me iis when I think I have good fabric and wash it once and it loses 50% of its content due to the fact that it seems to be sprayed with so much sizing.
At the end of the day its all about we all buy what we can afford, make do just like our ancestors that quilted. We have so much more choice though don't we : )
Old 01-16-2012, 05:12 AM

Our walmart does have a small fabric department but i do not buy much fabric from any store the consignment shop fabric here is great for scrap quilts which i love to make
Old 01-16-2012, 05:15 AM

All fabric places have to be watched anymore. A lady from our church quilting group, purchased 90" cotton backing material for a queen size quilt top. We absolutely could not get the top to fit the backing material. Finally it dawned on us, it needed to be measured since it was no where near wide enough. It was only 88". So back to Hancock Fabrics. Took it to the counter, she assured us it was 90", we asked her to measure it, 88" it was. I pulled the core from the shelf it came from, the end markings said 90". Measured another, 90" on the core, 88" when measured.
Got our money back and ordered from a company online. Much better hand to the fabric, less expensive and free shipping. You just have to shop around.