Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Need Help...First Quilt Mistakes! >

Need Help...First Quilt Mistakes!

Need Help...First Quilt Mistakes!

Old 02-15-2012, 05:42 AM

Your quilt is adorable and looks so cozy!! I too have the puckers but don't worry about them. Can't tell you the number of times I was so stressed out at having a pucker that I didn't enjoy making the quilt. To me that's not what this is about. It's about doing something you love and enjoy. Mine aren't going into any contests but only made for myself, friends and family. I love the "crinkley" look of a quilt that's been washed and dried and then the puckers just blend right in. I say don't stress about the puckers and just enjoy what you're doing.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:55 AM

You did a wonderful job for a first quilt. I think when it is washed you won't see any puckers. There are no mistakes in quilting - only design opportunities. When I used to have to use the floor I used masking tape to tape the back down, then put the batting on, being careful to smooth it well and tape if necessary, then put the top down, smooth, tape then pin with tons of pins. I have heard other use T pins to pin it to the carpet. When pinning, don't try to close the pins with just your fingers - use a spoon or something to help.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:01 AM

You might want to go to a church/library to a room with tables that can be put together. Tape the back down to the tables first. Then layer with batting and top. Tape the top down, too. Then pin. Invite some friends to help you.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:23 AM

I love your quilt and I love the puffiness!!!!! Great job for a little one. You really did good, so enjoy. Less loft to the batting will create a flatter quilt. Also pulling the fabrics taut will help. Its very hard to pin on a carpet - try a table top for a hard floor.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:35 AM

I happen to like your puckers. To me it looks softer and more cuddley and it's going to be loved a whole bunch! You did a great job!
Old 02-15-2012, 06:37 AM

How cute and what a great job! Your first??? Wow! You can see all the love that went into it!
Old 02-15-2012, 06:55 AM

Your quilt is soooo cute! I'm definitely no expert, but I only have experience with spray basting. It works very well -- holds the layers in place, but allows you to re-position. You also might wish to use a cotton batting.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:56 AM

When I'm at home in Alberta I live in a lake cabin so I don't have a lot of floor area to lay out a large quilt so I bought a folding table. When it's time to sandwich a quilt I lay as much of the backing on the table as will fit & use large clips that I purchased at the hardware store to get the backing taut, next the batting & then the quilt top. I use curved safety pins to secure the layers. When one section is pinned I move the next section on to the table & proceed to sandwich that. I have tried spray basting but don't like the fumes.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:12 AM

Looks good to me - have you washed it yet, a lot of little puckers seem to disappear once the quilt is washed. Certainly is a charming quilt and will be well-loved by your dgs!
Old 02-15-2012, 07:44 AM

i found that i take my quilts to the bed and pin so far and tighten the quilt a little at a time. the back first and then the front. it work for me