Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Unexpected fire - beware! >

Unexpected fire - beware!

Unexpected fire - beware!

Old 05-14-2012, 04:50 AM

How scary. I don't think I have ever heard of an iron bursting into flames while your're using it. I have heard of them catching fire just being plugged in but nothing like this. Glad you are all right and it didn't set the house on fire. If you can't find more of the fabric could you put an applique over the hole?
Old 05-14-2012, 05:02 AM

Sorry to hear this and hope you heal fast and Rowenta makes real good on the damage.
Old 05-14-2012, 05:09 AM

So sorry for your pain and do pray you heal quickly and painlessly! This seems to reinforce my attitude that the more you pay for something doesn't insure it's the best! Good luck with the way this all pans out for you with luv'n hugs coming your way.
Old 05-14-2012, 05:10 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

YIKES!!! Hope your hand heals and Rowenta does the right thing !
Old 05-14-2012, 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by Kay in Iowa View Post
Oh - to say I had a bad morning would be an understatement. I was piecing the backing for a very special memorial quilt I designed and pieced - which will be auctioned off for a college schlorship memorial fund. My Rowenta travel iron BURST INTO FLAMES as I was using it. It burnt the cord off - it was laying on the floor still plugged in - blackened my rings - blistered my hand and burned a HOLE bigger than a quarter in my backing fabric - WHICH I HAVE NO MORE OF! I was able to get the fire out by putting my other hand over the burning fabric on the ironing board. WHAT A MESS.................my DH came in the house and said "what happened" - "get the burn ointment and meet me in the kitchen" was all I could come up with.

Can't even think about how I'm going to fix this problem with the backing yet. Tomorrow is another day.

Will call Rowenta's customer service in AM to tell them I'm sending this iron to them and will request an explanation of what happened. Have NEVER had anything like this happen - ever. I even have the iron plugged into a timer so that it can't accidently be left on.......but it actually was on fire as I held it.

Hope this NEVER happens to anyone else.
Thank you for making us aware that this could be a problem for us. A tip for your burns...recently I read an article regarding using egg whites on burns. I didn't think about it much...how simple could this be? Put raw egg whites on the burn & supposedly it would stop the burn. Well... not really wanting to try it out, but dumb enough to grab a hot pan that was falling, gave me an opportunity I had not anticipated. lol I just cracked open the egg & put the whole thing into a small bowl. I stuck my thumb in the egg white part. I was disappointed at first, because the thumb continued to have that burning sensation. The blister was down under the skin & was already swollen within a couple of minutes.

After about thirty minutes I decided to just let the egg white dry on my hand & go on with what I was doing. About 3 hours later, I dipped my thumb in the egg white again, let it dry on the thumb & went to bed. When I got up the next morning, all the swelling in the thumb had gone down & there was NO evidence of the burn. I was totally amazed. It was like it had never happened. This is one magic, holistic cure that I hope helps someone else.
Old 05-14-2012, 05:27 AM

eeeeekkkkkkk!!!!!!! that is awful. hopefully they can replace for free and tell you what happened.
Old 05-14-2012, 05:36 AM

Sorry about the burn.. And glad it wasn't worse.. I keep lavender essential oil in the kitchen for burns maybe I need to keep a bottle in the sewing room too. Just in case. I have never had a Rowenta iron I always thought they were a little crazy in price. With all I have been reading about the problems I am glad. I have a T-Fal that I am perfectly happy with.. It is my second since my daughter dropped the first one and dented the point. I left it with her and bought a new one when I moved.. It does have the auto shut off but reheats quickly so I am fine with that. I have an old iron a friend of mine found for me at and estate sale. Cloth cord, no steam/no holes. I use it for fusible and just make sure I unplug when I am done.. Good luck on trying to get anything out of Rowenta.
Old 05-14-2012, 05:40 AM

Sorry to hear of your flaming incident and hope your hand heals quickly. I agree with some of the others about posting the backing fabric picture so that you may fortunately find a match. I have the regular Rowenta iron, but if I were to purchase another iron in the future, it WON'T be a Rowenta and has nothing to do with hearing your experience.
Old 05-14-2012, 05:49 AM

Sorry to hear about your accident and I hope you heal quickly. I alsways thought I wanted a Rowenta but am glad I didn't buy one. I am sure there are other irons that have had problems too, but never heard of one bursting into flames when being used. I'll bet that was really scary and am glad you are ok. Please post pictures of your fabric someone might have some if you need it.
Old 05-14-2012, 05:49 AM

So sorry for your bad day. Sounds like a good reason to not buy Rowenta again. Good advice for all of us to beware of what could happen with our irons.