Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Newbie here: have a Bernina question and I need help. >

Newbie here: have a Bernina question and I need help.

Newbie here: have a Bernina question and I need help.

Old 12-01-2013, 12:46 PM

Default Need help about Bernina

Originally Posted by sewingsuz View Post
I would get the Bernina if it is in good condition, you will love it.
I'm sorry but I don't have time to read all of the 50 responses.

Just a couple of ideas:

I have taken classes from two teachers that only use Berninas and both said that you really didn't need the free motion foot to do quilting. I think it helps me to have it, but it could just be me.
If you decide to buy the cheaper model without the special feet, the dealers usually have feet on sale from time to time. That is when I buy mine. I think the 2 most important feet (in my opinion) are the 1/4 inch foot and the walking foot. Also my dealer sells used feet from time to time. You might check with your dealer.
I have an old 830 from the 60's and a newer 440 QE edition. I love both of them. One feature that I use all the time is the needle up and needle down function. I think I would buy the newest model if possible. They usually have free interest if you pay the machine off in 1 or 2 years (depending on the model). I just don't think you can go wrong with any Bernina. The newer the model, the more chances that the dealer can still get replacement parts for it if needed.
Old 12-01-2013, 07:04 PM

If you get a Bernina, go with a new one. That way you won't be surprised with a potentially expensive repair if something like a circuit board goes bad. Bernina are awesome machines. Love mine! But remember, you don't "need" a fancy machine for quilting since most of the time you only use a straight stitch. FMQ is a skill that you can master with our w/o a stitch regulator. it all depends on how big your quilts usually are...how complicated your quilting patterns are...whether you quilt your tops yourself or send them out or hand quilt. talk to your local dealer first. most of them have generous trade in/up policies. perhaps a simple Bernina for piecing will suit your needs right now & you can decide on upgrading later after you figure out how you want to actually quilt your tops.