Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does your quilt guild do anything to help integrate new members? >

Does your quilt guild do anything to help integrate new members?

Does your quilt guild do anything to help integrate new members?

Old 04-10-2014, 08:54 PM

I went to a local quild as a new member, and it just happen to be auction night to make money for the quild. i had a good amount of money with me so I bought a lot of stuff, (I Love auctions.). a member When It was almost over, The woman holding up the articles , came over to me and said out loud"are you sure you have enough money to pay for alll this " I paid cash ,over a hundred dollars worth and never went back, a member that I knew called me in a few weeks and want me to come back, I told her what had happened and she said , OH shes allways like that. I said no thanks. not my kind of people., Talk about a clique> cmaras1234
Old 04-11-2014, 12:33 AM

I have moved around quite a bit due to husband's job transfers so have had numerous experiences of being new kid on the block. We always found a church home in each new community and each have joined other groups such as car clubs, service clubs etc. They have all been similar experiences of groups seeming cliquish but in reality I think it was more of a matter that everyone knew everyone and I knew no one or just a few. Getting to know names and recognize people is a challenge in a new group. It takes time but I feel is worth the effort because of the friendships that are formed in the long run. We recently have been having a get to know you segment of guild meetings where 8-10 people are asked to share with the group something they don't think many people know about them. It has been so beneficial for everyone even though many are long time guild members. The person moderating this keeps track of who has shared and then calls on people who haven't. People found out that they have a lot of shared interests other than quilting and it has really changed the dynamics of the group. I highly recommend this.
Old 04-11-2014, 02:46 AM

You cant fix humans.
Old 04-11-2014, 02:49 AM

CMARAS, she was a boor. But my reflex would have said back too her...loudly..." You are right! You just talked me out of PAYING THE GUILD for this!" thanks anyway!

sandy