Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Maren's 13yoa quilt >

Maren's 13yoa quilt

Maren's 13yoa quilt

Old 06-02-2014, 07:51 AM

What a nice tradition to make a quilt with all your grandkids. It should be a very special memory for them.
Old 06-02-2014, 08:12 AM

Very pretty quilt and GD. She did a great job on it. She will have treasured memories of the summer for a long time.
Old 06-02-2014, 08:48 AM

Beautiful quilt, beautiful granddaughter!
Old 06-02-2014, 09:16 AM

Awesome. Looks like she had a great time!

Cheers, K
Old 06-02-2014, 09:19 AM

Great pics. My GD birthday 6/9 we are doing the same thing this summer. I hope her smile is as bright as your GDs is. Sure is a happy quilt!
Old 06-02-2014, 10:22 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

BEAUTIFUL !!

I hope that she carries it over into adulthood and shows others how to quilt in her lifetime !
Old 06-02-2014, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by spartan quilter View Post
This past week, I have had my 13 yoa granddaughter with me. Each summer when my grands have turned 13, they spend about a week with me and sew themselves a quilt. I have the material cut, but they do the sewing and pressing. The first picture is of her sitting at the old machine and sewing.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]477510[/ATTACH]

The next picture shows her helping put the whole thing together. As young as she is, she still had a sore back from the leaning over. I told her to just bend her knees a little and it went better. I put 4 inch risers under the dining room table, but really could use 8 inch risers.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]477511[/ATTACH]

This last one is the quilt with Maren beside it. The quilt is about queen size, measuring 80 x 110. Think that qualifies as a queen. We backed it with a piece of fleece with musical pictures on it, since she loves her music, whether it is singing or playing in the school band.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]477512[/ATTACH]

The proud owner of a new quilt. You can see that I had started the quilting, and I did straight stitching across the other direction also. I will do a wave scroll in the white and yellow/green borders. I am so proud of her and all the grands before her who have made their quilts. Thanks for looking.
What a Great Quilt !!! I also teach sewing to kids and have had the fun of introducing young people to making quilts. We use the random strips Quilts to teach them how to sew a nice straight 1/4" seam. They are pros when they finish sewing 50 to 100 strips together for their quilts.
Old 06-02-2014, 12:44 PM

Wonderful job! How nice that you can pass your quilting hobby down the family line.
Old 06-02-2014, 12:48 PM

She did a great job and should be proud of herself. I love her color choices.
Old 06-02-2014, 01:22 PM

What a wonderful memory for her to treasure. Each time she crawls under that beautiful quilt she will remember that her Grandma helped her make a beautiful keepsake. She is doing great work for a beginner. Hope she stays with it. We need some new young ideas in the quilting world