Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have you made a notebook of all the quilts you've made? >

Have you made a notebook of all the quilts you've made?

Have you made a notebook of all the quilts you've made?

Old 06-18-2014, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by SlightlyOffQuilter View Post
I take a picture of each quilt once it is finished. This past Christmas I had all the quilts made from 2012 ( when I started quilting ) through December 2013 made into a nice hard cover book at Snapfish.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]479348[/ATTACH]
It let me add the text to each page and I put the month and year made, the name of the quilt, and who it was made for / given to.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]479349[/ATTACH]
I plan on having one made each year as a Christmas gift to myself ! It was not that expensive, and I love having a nice hard cover album that I can see all the quilts I made year by year.
Love this book!! Although I don't create nearly enough to fill a book. Maybe in about 20 years lol
Old 06-18-2014, 10:13 AM

When I took quilting classes, the teacher told us to all start a journal of our quilts to keep a record. At the time, there was a quilt shop in town going out of business, and I found a Quilting Journal there for half price. There are two pages for each quilt. On the left, there's space for a photo and swatches of the fabric used. One the right, there's a lined page to provide the name of the quilt pattern, who it was for, how you felt about making the quilt, anything special, who quilted it, etc. I am thrilled to say I have finally filled my first journal and have begun the second one. This is a link to Amazon's list of quilting journals available for sale. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...lting+jo%2Caps
Old 06-18-2014, 10:21 AM
Power Poster

I have some patterns in a loose leaf binder in protective sleeves. I have swatches of the material attached to the pattern and do make a note who will be the recipient of the quilt. I also have a photo of the quilt in my computer.
Old 06-18-2014, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by SlightlyOffQuilter View Post
I take a picture of each quilt once it is finished. This past Christmas I had all the quilts made from 2012 ( when I started quilting ) through December 2013 made into a nice hard cover book at Snapfish.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]479348[/ATTACH]
It let me add the text to each page and I put the month and year made, the name of the quilt, and who it was made for / given to.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]479349[/ATTACH]
I plan on having one made each year as a Christmas gift to myself ! It was not that expensive, and I love having a nice hard cover album that I can see all the quilts I made year by year.
What a fantastic idea! Also, I think you have given me a wonderful idea for DH's Christmas present. He makes segmented wood bowls and has just started working with inlays. I can even do this right under his nose and it will be a complete surprise to him. Thanks a million!
Old 06-18-2014, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Doggramma View Post
I started to do that years ago. I kept the pattern, swatches of the fabrics, my notes, and a picture of the finished quilt. Now, usually, all the quilt gets is a possible digital photo or two. It got to the point that A) I never looked at the old notebooks, and B) when I'm gone, who's going to care. I was so passionate about quilting when I started, and now it's just one of a few enjoyable hobbies.
My sentiments exactly. I just told DH yesterday when we were sorting scraps that I need to tell the kids NOT to just dump the scraps in the trash when I'm gone. They need to know that quilters love to come home with someone else's scraps from a garage sale or Goodwill.

I, too, take digital pictures of the finished quilts. I add them to my online album. I've started wondering what happens to all our online stuff when we're gone. Most of mine are donated so I have no idea where they end up.
Old 06-18-2014, 12:40 PM

I too use plastic sheet protectors (get them by the hundred at Staples). I put a picture of the finished quilt, along with when it was started and finished; all templates that I make for pieceing or quilting; scraps of the fabrics attached to the pattern; and any design work such as sketches. Sometimes it takes two or three of the sheet protectors, but I just staple them together in the margin. I file them all in a large 3inch D-ring binder (I am now on my second binder). If I ever decide to do that quilt again, I can just go to the shelf and get all the pertenent information I need. My kids would never think to look on the computer for any of my quilting info (probably because they know I don't trust computers).
Old 06-18-2014, 10:07 PM

Good Heavens, NO. I'm too busy quilting. Seriously, for me it really is a waste of time. If I started it, I'd never keep it up. Lack of interest I guess.