Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Have You Ever Served On A Jury? >

Have You Ever Served On A Jury?

Have You Ever Served On A Jury?

Old 09-10-2009, 08:55 AM

Nearly 25 years ago, I served on two federal cases in Los Angeles. Back then, your "duty" was for 60 days -- You kept coming back until either you were chosen for a case or the 60 days had passed.

The first was a criminal case about a man who had sold a bunch of property out in the desert by telling folks that a new international airport would be built out there. It was a pretty cut and dried example of fraud, with his guilt clear for us by the end. What made it interesting was that, because I lived over 100 miles away, I was staying with my mom each night -- and she lived in that same desert valley! I had to assure the judge that I wouldn't read any newspapers or watch any local news at night.

The second civil case was almost comical. This guy worked on one of those big tanker ships and claimed that the water onboard made him sick. During the course of the trial, the defense presented evidence about where the water on these ships comes from. All of it -- for drinking, machinery, showers/toilets, etc -- all is distilled from sea water. Yup, he was getting "sick" from the same distilled water that everyone else was drinking/using. He didn't seem too bright, so I think somebody gave him the mistaken idea of suing for damages.

I was working for a university at the time, so I received my usual salary (but had to turn over my daily payment). I did get to keep the small additional payment I was given to partially cover my lodging/travel expenses (which, of course, were $0 since I was staying with my mom).

I've gotten summonses (sp?) to local municipal and superior courts many times over the years, but have never made it past sitting in the courtroom waiting to be chosen. As before, the payment wasn't much (and, as before, my current employer -- another university -- makes up the difference). There really should be some way to mandate that all employers do something like this; people should not have to suffer economic hardship because of their jury service.

I really wouldn't mind being serving again for this simple reason: innocent people DO get charged with crimes they didn't commit; it happens all the time. If I were in their shoes, I would want someone like me -- reasonably intelligent, open-minded, unbiased -- to sit in judgment of them.

I derive great satisfaction being a citizen in this country (despite some of the truly stupid/awful things its leaders have done in my name) and I believe with all my heart that it is my duty to participate, to be informed, and yes, to serve on juries when called.

Whenever I do get called, I make sure to bring change for the soda machine, a fresh book, and my knitting (never had anyone challenge me about the needles). Time passes pretty quickly that way.

Sorry to be so long-winded!

Old 09-10-2009, 09:52 AM

Yes, I have been on three juries and the most recent was murder in the first degree, but not a capitol case. The trial was 5 weeks and a week of deliberation! The outcome was a hung jury. The night before the deliberation ended, all 12 voted guilty, however, overnight two flipped.
Needless to say 10 of us were very frustrated. He was in jail on another charge at the time of this trial and a year later he took a deal and pleaded guilty for the murder! I knew he was guilty and I bet those two softies are regreting their decision now. :!:
Old 09-10-2009, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Quiltin'Lady
There really should be some way to mandate that all employers do something like this; people should not have to suffer economic hardship because of their jury service.
Can't say I fully agree. It's one thing for a major corporation or government-run operation to cover the cost. But it would be quite a hardship for a small shop owner or other company to have to pay for an employee who is not actually doing any work for them. Maybe if it small business owners were allowed to take it as a tax deduction or something... OTOH, I fully agree that people shouldn't have to suffer financially to do jury duty.
Old 09-10-2009, 01:58 PM

i have been called 4x. once i had 2 kids and no one to watch them. once i was not picked after sitting there all day for two days. once my employer, saint that he was, flat out said i would be fired if i was chosen. when i told that to the judge, he was furious, but he let me go. and the last time i was excused for disability. dh was chosen for a murder case, but the defendant confessed. dh was disappointed.
Old 09-10-2009, 03:44 PM

I did serve on jury one time, but spent most of two weeks sitting around waiting to see if I would be seated on a jury. I got paid $11 for lunch and parking and no my employer did not pay me for lost wages, it was my loss. Take something to do, I got a lot of knitting done while I was there just waiting.
The jury I did get seated on was a drug dealer who sold to three undercover cops on three different occassions, so it was pretty easy call on that one. I acutally felt sorry for the guy cause his defense witnesses were some of his surly friends who reallly didn't help his case at all.
But the fellow jurors were not what I would call a 'jury of my peers'.
Old 09-10-2009, 05:59 PM

I have been called twice for county juries in the 35 years I have lived here. I was excused the first time years ago, served on the jury the second time two years ago. It was a contract dispute and I really felt for the guy, but he did not deliver on his contract for home repairs. As a home owner who has had problems with contractors, I was selected! I didn't like the guys who were suing the contractor, but the way the case was presented we had to go all or nothing. The contractor did not write a good contract and the kids used it against him. It was a very good learning experience.
Old 09-10-2009, 06:04 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Quiltin'Lady
I really wouldn't mind being serving again for this simple reason: innocent people DO get charged with crimes they didn't commit; it happens all the time. If I were in their shoes, I would want someone like me -- reasonably intelligent, open-minded, unbiased -- to sit in judgment of them.
I derive great satisfaction being a citizen in this country (despite some of the truly stupid/awful things its leaders have done in my name) and I believe with all my heart that it is my duty to participate, to be informed, and yes, to serve on juries when called.

Whenever I do get called, I make sure to bring change for the soda machine, a fresh book, and my knitting (never had anyone challenge me about the needles). Time passes pretty quickly that way.

Sorry to be so long-winded!
Quiltin' Lady, I have to believe that innocent ppl do get charged with crimes, or I would be saying, all ppl taken to court are guilty!
Now that would be a preconceived, incredibly biased perspective.
We've all been accused of things we didn't do, and ppl in authority make mistakes too.
Old 09-10-2009, 09:19 PM

Here is a question I got asked when I was in the pre-jury selection group. If you knew the person was guilty could you find that person not guilty? :?: This was asked by the prosecutor. I said if the person is guilty than he is guilty. Turns out the police didn't go by the book when they took the guy in to jail. My answer kept me from being selected. The guy was found not guilty even tho' he did the crime just because the police didn't follow procedures. Shades of Law & Order!!
Old 09-11-2009, 05:12 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by adrianlee
Here is a question I got asked when I was in the pre-jury selection group. If you knew the person was guilty could you find that person not guilty? :?: This was asked by the prosecutor. I said if the person is guilty than he is guilty. Turns out the police didn't go by the book when they took the guy in to jail. My answer kept me from being selected. The guy was found not guilty even tho' he did the crime just because the police didn't follow procedures. Shades of Law & Order!!
Wow, that sure would be tough to live with. If I were law enforcement, would make me extremely careful to follow procedure, ad infinitum, so I wouldn't have to lay awake at night, knowing a murderer or rapist, etc. was back on the streets, bc of my ineptness and haste.
Also, law enforcement have to watch their back, for those out for revenge. The jurors are an extension of the law, so to speak, while they are serving, which is quite a responsibility.
Old 09-12-2009, 06:10 AM

I got called for jury twice. Our county only pays $12 aday plus gas milage. When my DD was a senior in High schoo; she got summond, and got choosen to serve on a case. The judge was hystrical when she was asked what she did for a living. the priciaple told her in the 20yrs. he was at this school he never had a student excused for jury duty,but then again he never met a girl like her either.
It was an experiance she would never forget. The down side was she missed school on valentines day and that was a big thing for them.