Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Will I Ever Love Quilting? >

Will I Ever Love Quilting?

Will I Ever Love Quilting?

Old 03-26-2015, 08:07 AM

I, too, am not thrilled by the actual quilting part. I send mine out. I feel good about it because I am providing a bit of income to a long-arm quilter.

I have read comments by some on this board that they don't feel a quilt is their "own" unless they have done every step of its creation. I do not fault them; to each their own. But, for my part, life is short and I am not going to try to do something that feels like a chore to me. I love almost every step of quilting (pattern selection, color decisions, fabric ideas, cutting, piecing and watching a top (back, too, I piece all mine) come together, I just don't care for the actual quilting and I don't beat myself up about it.

Do what you love and let someone who enjoys it do the rest.
Old 03-26-2015, 08:17 AM

I feel your pain! I thought for 7 years that I had to, absolutely had to, do FMQ. Well, I am very comfortable saying I don't like it, do very little of it and finally don't care if I ever do it. I enjoy all other aspects of quilting but not that. It frustrates me to death. I just bought a new BAby Lock Journey. It has so many decorative stiches (250+) that I use these to finish my quilts. I just love getting creative with them. So, while I love quilting, I don't enjoy every aspect of it.
Old 03-26-2015, 10:41 AM

Like many here, I love the planning, sewing, etc. of creating a quilt. Instead of actually quilting, I really prefer to tie my quilts. There's something about a tied quilt that connects me to my grandmother. Machine quilting is something I don't think I will ever try.
Old 03-26-2015, 11:29 AM

I think everyone has at least one part of the quilting process that they like the least. I stress over the quilting the most. Binding and planning the project is the fun part.
Old 03-26-2015, 11:48 AM

I think we all enjoy different parts of quilting like me I love fabric shopping, piecing, quilting my quilt but I hate binding. I know right, that means Its finished when you put on the binding. NOPE I hate to bind and I don't care if I had a different sewing machine I would still feel the same way about it as I do know. So I have asked a friend to do it. You are suppose to enjoy quilting and so I wouldn't feel bad it if you don't certain parts of it.
Old 03-26-2015, 05:06 PM
Power Poster

I also think everyone finds what is right for them. That is the best way. Part of my connection too is with my mother who is no longer here, and watching all she did.
Old 03-26-2015, 06:36 PM

Maybe, maybe not. I think we all find our little comfort zone, whatever we enjoy the most naturally we are better at. I don't really care for the sandwiching and quilting either, have 2 DSM's, can and have done it all with only SITD or cross-hatching, one QAYG with dresdens, and quilted the outline of the dresden plates, never tried FMQ. I mostly enjoy hand-stitching hexies, and cross-stitching, never tried hand-quilting either. But when I feel like machine sewing, I'll whip out a quilt top, mostly simple patterns, found out that victoria's quilts will accept tops and finish them, they send quilts to cancer patients. For quick finish items, I do pillowcases or bags, baby receiving blankets, burp cloths, bibs, etc. I say do whatever you enjoy, it's supposed to be fun!
Old 03-26-2015, 07:18 PM

You might want to puddle your quilt and do some simple FMQ stitches to see how you like it. Just doing the STD is bound to become pretty boring because there is no rhyme or reason to it. Give it a try and I would just about guess you will enjoy it. You could start on just a practice piece to get the feel too. Have fun, quilting is supposed to be enjoyable, so relax and enjoy
Old 03-26-2015, 08:09 PM

Depends, perhaps, on why you don't like the quilting.

I like quilting, or would if it were easier. But manhandling even a large throw size quilt through the harp on my DSM is getting to me. Whether I puddle it or roll it, it's still a lot to move around and through the machine. I'm doing one now that has about made me throw in the towel. I've quilted around 56 five inch squares and turning the quilt and forcing it through the harp has gotten on my last nerve. Plus, I think the quilting looks terrible. I like the control of doing it all myself but I honestly don't know how you all -- those who do -- quilt full size and even king size quilts on a DSM. So I have to decide, too, if I'll keep on doing it this way or send them all out (probably not) or just quit!
Old 03-26-2015, 09:08 PM
Power Poster

Maybe you could send one out, and see how you feel about it when you get it back. You won't know unless you try.