Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Rotating mat and squaring up of blocks ??? >
  • Rotating mat and squaring up of blocks ???

• Rotating mat and squaring up of blocks ???

Old 04-13-2015, 01:04 PM

Bummer. if they would take them out of the plastic at the store, maybe the smell would be all dissipated before they sold them. Probably not an option though, since it's a 2 piece mat (I'm guessing it's fiskars or olfa). I have a fiskars one that I don't use anymore and I'm sure it doesn't smell but it would be expensive to ship.
    Old 04-13-2015, 03:19 PM

The Bloc-Loc HST is da bomb! It does exactly as you say. I put it on, make the first cut, spin, cut, repeat till done. I use the rotating mats a lot and have a few of them...with those and the Bloc-Loc...best ever. Works on QST as well. I bought the 2.5, 4.5, and 6.5, but I'm adding the other and the big 12.5 as well. They aren't inexpensive, but one of the best investments ever.
    Old 04-14-2015, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by teddy300
    Another option for a rotating mat is to use a lazy susan. My rotating mat doesn't seem to rotate smoothly so I place a cutting mat on an old marble lazy susan and work that way. I also love the blocloc rulers for squaring up. I have another lazy susan sitting to the right of my machine to hold tools, pin cushion, etc.
    ..remember when lazy Susan was used for food....now she is sewing! Great repurpose.......
    Old 04-14-2015, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by VickiM
    This may help...got this tip from someone in my quilt guild group. I used it while doing a raffle medallion quilt that had a few hundred 2 1/2" HST. Saved me lots of time! Instead of the usual 7/8" added round it off (2 7/8" += 3") for your squares. Make HST as usual with the 2 fabrics. Cut on your diagonal, now you have 2 HST. DON'T IRON THEM OPEN YET! I use quilt in a day ruler for squaring HST. With them still as they were sewn, square to 2 1/2". NOW IRON OPEN. Snip off dogears. DONE! Really saves time, is accurate, & only cut once. Hope this helps.
    That sounds like an easy, quick way to get perfect HSTs.....and not extremely expensive. EB tools, patterns are the most inexpensive around