Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Question for Die Cutter Users >
  • Question for Die Cutter Users

• Question for Die Cutter Users

Old 09-21-2015, 06:37 AM

I agree with qiltin-nannie. I usually use my June Taylor to cut strips. I do like the Go for applique shapes though. I would not buy the Go if I had it to do over again, It is hard for me to turn the crank . . . getting harder the older I get and the more my arthritis bothers me. If I had waited and bought the electric Big Go I would probably love it. I am looking at an electric cutter that I can scan applique shapes and send to the cutter via computer.
    Old 09-22-2015, 09:42 AM
    Power Poster

Thank you for all the responses.
    Old 10-07-2015, 09:44 AM
    Power Poster

I love my go and use it all the time...
    Old 10-07-2015, 10:21 AM
    Power Poster

DH replaced the roller (needle bearings) in mine and now the Go cranks like butter. My three year old grandson loves to turn it for me. Each roller has a bearing on each end. It took him about an hour, most of that time was spent finding his snap ring pliers. LOL

Last edited by Onebyone; 10-07-2015 at 10:25 AM.
    Old 10-07-2015, 02:35 PM

I HAD a Go!.[ATTACH=CONFIG]532767[/ATTACH]

Look who's got it now.
    Attached Thumbnails 14442572101860.jpg  
    Old 10-07-2015, 02:37 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Weezy Rider
    I HAD a Go!.[ATTACH=CONFIG]532767[/ATTACH]

Look who's got it now.
    Beautiful cat.
    Old 10-08-2015, 02:50 AM

Originally Posted by janjanq
    I have a Baby Go and its OK but the dies are so expensive. I'm thinking of buying the Brother ScanNCut. Anything you can scan it will cut. No dies to buy. comes with nearly a thousand designs built -in including over 100 quilt blocks. Even draws the stitching lines on the pieces. Do any of you have one and if so which model and how do you like it?
    I have a Studio and enjoy it so much, bought the GO! Baby to use in classes and retreats. But if you scroll back thru this thread, you're likely to discover, those who enjoy their cutters the most, are those who use their cutters more for piecing than for appliqués. If you're a piecer, IMHO, it's unfair to dismiss a die cutter based solely on the experience using a company's smallest, most basic model.

Yes, the dies are expensive . . .but for a die that will be used frequently, it's worth it. If you're only using applique, the Scan N Cut is worth it because, as you point out, it will cut any shape. The downside, however, is it cuts one layer of fabric at a time . . .not at all practical if piecing a quilt. Therefore, I wouldn't consider a scan n cut a substitute for a die cutter.
    Old 10-08-2015, 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by ClairVoyantQuilter
    I have a Studio and enjoy it so much, bought the GO! Baby to use in classes and retreats. But if you scroll back thru this thread, you're likely to discover, those who enjoy their cutters the most, are those who use their cutters more for piecing than for appliqués. If you're a piecer, IMHO, it's unfair to dismiss a die cutter based solely on the experience using a company's smallest, most basic model.
    Yes, the dies are expensive . . .but for a die that will be used frequently, it's worth it. If you're only using applique, the Scan N Cut is worth it because, as you point out, it will cut any shape. The downside, however, is it cuts one layer of fabric at a time . . .not at all practical if piecing a quilt. Therefore, I wouldn't consider a scan n cut a substitute for a die cutter.
    I agree completely with this post....I do both piecing and applique and use my GO whenever possible for both......as far as "hard to crank". Use it a few times and it smoothes out and Is fine. But, don't fill with 6 layers of fabric! I layer to 4 and it's smooth...at 6 it is tougher and I really don't want to push it.....
    Old 10-08-2015, 04:30 PM

I agree with Robin. I think if I appliqued a lot I would probably get the scan and cut or something similar, but with all the geometric dies I have and use a lot the Studio is the one I use and it cuts and saves my back and arms and hands. I get a lot cut with only a little work. It is awesome to see the stacks pile up and fast.

The dies for applique are so expensive for the use most people would get out of them, I didn't buy any of those. I knew I would not use them at all. I think the expense is a concern on any of them, but I bought mine on sale and when I had the money to do it starting with the ones I wanted to use the most which was the 2" one. I think they are well worth it. I just purchased the last sale the 2 1/2 inch Square and some little triangles.
    Old 10-09-2015, 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by sewbeadit
    I agree with Robin. I think if I appliqued a lot I would probably get the scan and cut or something similar, but with all the geometric dies I have and use a lot the Studio is the one I use and it cuts and saves my back and arms and hands. I get a lot cut with only a little work. It is awesome to see the stacks pile up and fast.

The dies for applique are so expensive for the use most people would get out of them, I didn't buy any of those. I knew I would not use them at all. I think the expense is a concern on any of them, but I bought mine on sale and when I had the money to do it starting with the ones I wanted to use the most which was the 2" one. I think they are well worth it. I just purchased the last sale the 2 1/2 inch Square and some little triangles.

I agree, but I have the Silhouette. I often sketch my own appliques rather than buy a die or use clip-art. I can get things into the Silhouette from my drawing program. To add to that, Masterworks does have the ability to program machine applique. I can take the same drawing and digitize it.