Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you use starch? >

Do you use starch?

Do you use starch?

Old 04-17-2016, 08:38 AM

I used to use starch unto someone told me to use sizing because it doesn't flake and doesn't attract bugs!
Old 04-17-2016, 09:57 AM

I don't starch yardage because I always seem to starch it off grain. When the fabric is starched off grain, you just can't use it.
Old 04-17-2016, 01:16 PM

What a thread! ! Everything from bugs to not using fabric.

I've used Stay Flo for years. Now my grocery store doesn't carry it, but I found it at Walmart 40 miles away. I dilute one Stay Flo to five water. I have used the bottle from the "expensive stuff" for spraying for about 5 years now.
When my blocks are done, I spray and press them. What a transformation in looks. Once I made a Paddle Wheel block, and all the edges are bias. I used a pen and marked my ironing board where the corners were supposed to be, pinned them down and then sprayed and ironed. Turned out perfectly with all the seams in the corner like they belonged.

The flakes don't matter! They disappear and just add to the dust you sweep up later. And if Florida doesn't have bugs, I'm good to go! Never had bugs here either.
Old 04-17-2016, 04:16 PM

I seldom use starch, but when I do I use a brand called "Mary Ellen's Best Press" (scent free). I have allergies and stay away from sprays as much as possible.
Old 04-17-2016, 05:12 PM
mkc

Originally Posted by Melanie Rudy View Post
I seldom use starch, but when I do I use a brand called "Mary Ellen's Best Press"
Be very careful with that starch - I had set a brand new bottle on a piece of wood furniture (nearly new nightstand in our guest bedroom); apparently the spray nozzle leaked a little and the next morning I found the bottle stuck to the table. It had eaten through the finish and lifted the stain out of the top. Needless to say I was horrified and I won't ever use that product near wood furniture again.

Michelle
Old 04-18-2016, 03:25 AM

Oh yes, by the crate, I found the tip here on this forum a number of years ago and haven't looked back. It makes such a difference when doing scrappy quilts, where fabric has been multi handled and frays, also gives such precise cutting on smaller pieces, helping your piercing. I wouldn't be without it, I use the the Faultless brand.
Old 04-18-2016, 09:52 AM

I use StaFlo too. Many times full strength. Our local grocery store manager was kind enough to order in for me in 1/2 gal. size. I bought two and I think my daughter also bought some. I never have any success using the spray cans - seems they always clog and/or just quit spraying.
Old 04-18-2016, 10:09 AM
Power Poster

I used starch a few years ago. Makes a real mess on the iron.
I never use starch now only water in a spray bottle.
Old 04-18-2016, 11:38 AM

I also don't like the mess of starch on the iron or the ironing board cover, so I stopped using it about a year ago. And I keep a spray bottle of water nearby like JINGLE. But I don't use that much either.
Old 04-18-2016, 12:31 PM

As to the mess on the iron and/or ironing board, I also had that problem when I used the spray stuff but since I dunk mine and hang to dry before I press it I don't have that issue anymore, even when I mist the piece before pressing. No gunk on my iron or ironing board. Think some would start to press right after spraying the starch onto the fabric which I'm guilty of too............not letting the starch soak in. Think that might be the key to it all. Guess we're all in a hurry to get to the project that we don't take enough time getting to that point.