• Main
  • Share your best pressing tip >
  • Share your best pressing tip

• Share your best pressing tip

Old 02-11-2018, 08:09 AM

Great ideas!
    Old 02-11-2018, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish
    I mean exactly that - don't press it in half (lengthwise). Just fold it, align the raw edges with the raw edge of the quilt, and sew it on, just as you normally would.

Think about a running track. The inner lane of the track is not as long as the outer lane of the track, correct? Now envision your binding as the track, going around the edge of the quilt. The inner part of the binding is going to be shorter than the outer part, and ironing a crease in it doesn't allow the fabric to adjust. If you don't press it, the fabric is free to shift and adjust to best fit around that U curve. It seems like a very small thing, but the width of a couple of threads makes a huge difference. That's why we use a "scant" quarter inch seam, right? If you don't press your binding, it will lay much nicer, flatter, and fuller on the edge of the quilt.
    o

great explantion. Thanks!
    sandy
    Old 02-11-2018, 10:23 AM

[QUOTE=Onebyone;7998603]I don't press my binding in half either. I did it once and thought well that is a big waste of time for what? I never thought about the inside curve but it makes sense. I don't sew my binding strips on the diagonal either. I do straight across joining. Can't tell a bit of difference on narrow binding. Lately I have been doing wide binding so I match up the fabric pattern strip joins, using sewing straight across binding. I rethink all the detail fussy work many say has to be done when it clearly doesn't make any difference.[/QUOTE

I am with you! I do join the binding strips on the bias but the final join...I just join by overlapp8ng the two strips and trim the overlap to 1/2”. Then sew the binding on as a straight seam. I join the final on the bottom of the quilt and not centered. I don’t enter quilts to be judged..I do what keeps me sane.

sandy
    Old 02-12-2018, 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish
    My best pressing tip? Don't press your binding in half.

Peckish..your tip was timely. I spent the icey weekend putting binding on two UFOs that have been sitting for 5 years! I used your technique for one of them. Not bad! I will do it this way again.

sandy
    Old 02-12-2018, 09:20 PM

Yay! I'm glad you tried it!
    Old 02-18-2018, 01:14 PM

I bought one at the craft show. Now I want to find them locally to give as gifts! I really like it, but have to be careful how I spray. If you hold the handle down and don't let up, you get a continuous spray. Too much!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 07-21-2018 at 10:32 AM.
    Old 02-18-2018, 01:49 PM
    Power Poster

I have one of those bottles too. I got it for quilting and also use it to mist my plants. I just put water in mine
    Old 08-14-2020, 07:49 AM

I agree, read this somewhere, tried and love it. No pressing mine now for years.
    Old 08-14-2020, 09:13 AM

I found out the hard way that when I was finger pressing my seams open, I was actually distorting the shape of my nails (I have claws). So I bought a finger presser from Clover, it's a roller that you run back and forth on your seam to press it open. I also have a Clover mini-iron, so after the finger press, I run my mini-iron over the seam to set it, then I press the whole block with my iron and wool mat. I also use Sta-Flo starch, very weak solution of it and then I leave it alone until it cools.