Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Virtual Quilting Weekend--July 1-4, 2022 >

Virtual Quilting Weekend--July 1-4, 2022

Virtual Quilting Weekend--July 1-4, 2022

Old 07-02-2022, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
Rob, please explain why you triple batt your art quilts.
I don't usually. Normally I just double batt them. This one was originally doodle quilted with just the top and 1 layer of batting. At that stage I didn't put on a backing fabric because I thought I might want to do some more dyeing on it after the initial quilting and I didn't want the dyes to run through and show on the back. Once it was quilted, I did add some painted areas and then added the wool batting so some areas would puff out nicely. However, the backing that I chose was dark and I was worried that the wool might beard through it, so I opted to add an extra layer of cotton batting in black to prevent that from happening. Hence heavy, very springy quilt when trying to push it through my Sweet Sixteen LOL!

Rob
Old 07-02-2022, 04:53 PM

Happy with myself. Focusing and taking needed time. I think this garment is ok.
Old 07-02-2022, 04:55 PM
Power Poster

Thanks for explaining, Rob. I know some people use an extra layer of wool batting for show quilts to poof a bit.
Old 07-02-2022, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by cjsews View Post
LAF. I have T-shirt’s to make a quilt. What is the best interfacing to use for these? And how many yards does it usually take? This will probably be the first and last I do.
I am not super picky about interfacing brands, I just choose lightweight or featherweight of whatever brand is on sale! t shirts are so heavy on their own that I don't want to add extra weight. yardage depends on the number of shirts ofcourse. If you are cutting them all about the same size (usually that ends up being about 12-16 inch squares), I only expect to get one shirt per width of interfacing. so it ends up being a lot more yardage of interfacing than you would otherwise expect (10 shirts at 15inch squares would be 150 inches or over 4 yards of interfacing, plus extra, of course for a margin of error. ) But interfacing is cheap, so it doesn't add up to being expensive.

Good luck. I have also learned that using my walking foot is much better to handle the tickness of the tshirts.
Old 07-02-2022, 06:38 PM

Nice pictures today, looks like some great progress on projects.

I was able to get the2 donation quilts done and then my day got sidetracked. It wasn't supposed to rain today but we had a nice shower for a few hours so we did some running. I needed to get a sharpener for my chainsaw. And DH wanted to look at some material for his sand blaster. He also needed to make a power cord for his welder so it could plug into the dryer outlet.

Later in the afternoon I took time to clean and re sharpened my saw. It was a joke between DH and myself, I got him a 12 inch battery saw for father's day and told him I was keeping it. His father's day gift was me actually being able to help him on our property. He cuts the trees down and I clean up the branches.
​​I had used it for 2 hours last time we were there and it needed to be cleaned. I try to take care of all my toys. Tomorrow I need to oil the sewing machine before I sew.
Old 07-03-2022, 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by Raggiemom View Post
tallchick--how are the HSTs coming along? They can get tedious after awhile!

Railroadersbrat--I'm glad the power is back on and you're able to work on your quilt. At first glance I thought they were Dresdens until I clicked on the picture. Cool pattern.
They work up super quick, using 5" squares, do four at a time half squares, cut them down to 2.5", then pinwheel them. Two more 5" of the same fabric, cut to 2.5" squares, then snowball those squares. 2.5" squares in the corner and boom, it's done. That's why I love MSQC's patterns, they do work up quick when you get into a rhythm.

Sadly, though it's the coping strips that are still giving me fits. I've narrowed down what I'm doing wrong and I am about to try another block, but I had to take a break. I pulled out my Harvest Time table quilt and laid it out on my island, anytime I get up, I go in and spend a few minutes marking the quilt pattern on it. I'm hoping by tomorrow morning I'll be getting it sandwiched up and pin basted, fiancé is due home from the village on Tuesday or Wednesday, so I need to get the island put back together before he shows up. I cut a couple yards of Muslin off my bolt so I could put it back where it belongs, after I get done with the sandwich, it'll just be to pull the cutting mat off, wipe it down good and that'll be it.

I'd like to be able to start actually quilting the table quilt tomorrow afternoon or evening. I'll have to switch out my machines first but I know I might be stretching that a little. As long as it's pin basted and ready for me, I'll be happy with the progress I've achieved this weekend.
Old 07-03-2022, 05:03 AM

Everyone's projects look great! The quilting on the butterfly quilt is awesome. And I love the community quilt too! Rob, your "doodle quilt" is just outstanding. Is that all applique? My panel quilt drove me nuts yesterday. I can't believe how long it takes me to square up the panel, then square the small borders I added. Sometimes I am so anal! Anyway, I have one more border and it will be done. I will do that after church. While I'm there, I think I better ask for patience and divine guidance!!
Old 07-03-2022, 05:04 AM

Thank you for the info LAF and SBG for the interfacing info. I did go back and add more quilting to my butterflies. The finish is posted under pictures section. Now to find another project to work on. Great pics from everyone here
Old 07-03-2022, 07:27 AM

QuiltBaer- It's not appliqué. It's a whole cloth dye-painted quilt.

Rob
Old 07-03-2022, 08:42 AM

Everyone is making wonderful progress and I am loving all these beautiful finishes! I have spent exactly zero minutes sewing but not for the lack of desire, but just quilting gods testing my patience I suppose. I will sit back and enjoy everyone's progress and accomplishments instead.