Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What made you get the "itch" for quilting? >

What made you get the "itch" for quilting?

What made you get the "itch" for quilting?

Old 01-27-2010, 10:31 AM

My mom was a very crafty person (from ceramics to clothes to beads to quilts to anything else you can think of), and she was excellent at ALL of them! About a year before she died (from breast cancer, 7 years ago tomorrow), she started working on a quilt for me. She didn't get to finish it, but my aunt did. My mom had told my aunt one day to go to Costco, as they had a beginning quilter's set, even though she didn't quilt, Mom thought she'd be great at it. So away my aunt went to get the set. She is now an avid quilter, does classes at the LQS, works there half the time (more than the owners, I think!), and is a much appreciated teacher in our local quilting community.

My aunt finished the quilt my mom was making for me, and I treasure it. She also finished one that was not even half-made for my brother, which I currently have, as my brother as decided he's not in a position to really take care of it, and doesn't want it to end up trashed.

Summer '08 we (DH, DS and I) had to stay with my aunt while our house was being built. She'd been trying to get me to start quilting for about two years, but I didn't have a sewing machine, and I had enough going on in my life. However, living with an avid quilter, it's IMPOSSIBLE to not catch the bug! Less than a month later, my first Just Can't Cut It (the coffee one, if you've seen it) was done.

The rest is, as they say, history! Not only did I get a machine when we moved into our own house, I've already upgraded!

(I'll post my mom's quilts in a new thread tomorrow, in her honor.)
Old 01-27-2010, 10:42 AM

So sorry to hear about your Mom. I look forward to seeing her quilts tomorrow.
Old 01-27-2010, 11:05 AM

These are so interesting to read! Well, here's my story. My mom taught me to sew and embroider and when I got married (the first time) I bought a sewing machine with what little extra money I had. I made payments for 3 months and used it to make curtains or sew patches, etc. When my youngest was a toddler (he's now 28) he got into my machine and took it apart (literally) and I couldn't get it back together to work properly. The tension was all messed up and I couldn't afford to get it fixed properly. I managed to get another yard sale find a few years later and then my new husband (10 years now) bought me a Baby Lock Decorators Choice with an automatic threader and cutter. Oh my, I thought I had died and gone to heaven with that thing. My mom had done a few quilts and quilted them by hand - which I thought was way too time-consuming. I took a short course on quilting with a friend and machine quilted a queen sized Log Cabin design - which I lovingly call my pucker quilt. And now I can't stop quilting. I'm totally hooked and I LOVE it. :-)
Old 01-27-2010, 11:41 AM

I took home ec in high school and enjoyed it. I played around with fabric and sewed little things. My sister gave me a certificate for a beginners quilt class at the LQS and I was hooked. That was in 2000/2001? and since then, I have made 15 quilts and more to make! I have now gotten my mom into quilting and a sister inlaw.
Old 01-27-2010, 12:35 PM

Sharon, this is a great thread and I have enjoyed every story here. You are such special people.

My story is pretty tame. I grew up in Nebraska and did the home ec sewing and 4-H sewing and made clothing etc. My Mom is not a good teacher and very short on patience. So I guess it is good to have other teachers. My Mom however is an excellant seamstress as we were kids. Made clothe covered buttons and belts for the local sewing store, I still have the machine! Anyway I digress, she started quilting after us kids left the house. One Christmas I was visiting and was really bored as I was now a Californian and didn't appreciate the slower pace. So I asked her to teach me how to make something. So I made one block and hand quilted it for a pillow cover. I enjoyed it but didn't really get the bug until about 10 years ago. I don't get as many things done as my Mom but have quite the stash and UFO collection.
Old 01-27-2010, 02:22 PM
Power Poster

I had taken Home Ec. and sewed some things. In 1965 before our 2nd child a girl was born I asked my Mom to show me how to make a quilt top, she had made a couple but, never quilted them, no room for a frame, and had never heard of quilting them any other way. I made one for the new baby, didn't last very long, I had no idea how to hand quilt. I didn't make any more for years after, we had a third child- girl and I made clothes for myself and the girls and PJs for a son. Then i made tied quilts for all three kids, my sister had been given a bunch of flannel pieces, already cut into rectangles, in three different colors. I tied them w/a polyester blend backing, they used them until they fell apart. I made a few more quilts,crocheted,made doll clothes and made each of them another full size quilt and lots of craft things, big rabbits,dolls,comforters. Making some hand quilted quilts, and lots for my 6 Grands. Finally the rotary cutters,mats and machine quilting and feet to do it with became popular and I finally taught myself and about 5-6 Yr.s ago I started quilting in every spare minute I had and have been at it since. I made 10 comforters - thick and tied, in about 2 months time. I had made close to 30 quilts by now and almost always have a quilt in progress or planning one. I work 55 hours per week and take care of 2 dog,4 cats and a bird, Hubby takes care of big outside dog. I plan to retire this June and make lots more quilts then.
Old 01-27-2010, 03:35 PM

For me it was when I was given a quilt that my great grandmother had made, and my oldest DD said that I should make one for our baby girl we had on the way. Took me 10 months but I learned to put together a top, sandwich, and quilt it together. Now I am hooked... only finished one and now I am trying to do 3 at the same time. Guess I'm going to end up with UFOs that way. LOL
Old 01-27-2010, 03:35 PM

For me it was when I was given a quilt that my great grandmother had made, and my oldest DD said that I should make one for our baby girl we had on the way. Took me 10 months but I learned to put together a top, sandwich, and quilt it together. Now I am hooked... only finished one and now I am trying to do 3 at the same time. Guess I'm going to end up with UFOs that way. LOL
Old 01-27-2010, 05:11 PM

I've always totally loved quilts. They always seem like you're just wrapped in love. And I'm fascinated by the old ones I have, imagining who may have made them, their thoughts, what their life may have been like.....
I, too, started with 4H and Home Ec. :) My sister got me into quilting I think in 1986, I made a couple of small ones, then my youngest came along, so it got put on the back burner.
I then went on to make cloth bunny & cat dolls, barbie clothes for my daughter, comforter type quilts for my kids, counted cross stitching..... Then became a single mom, with no time for sewing, except dresses for my daughter's proms.
About two years ago, I dug my box of scraps out (funny how I saved it! lol!!) and made another couple of small ones, and doll clothes for two DGDs. But was working at a stressful job then, so it went back on hold again.
Then when I got laid off last January, out came my bigger box of scraps. And I've been at it ever since, with the exception of being hit and miss the last couple of months since my DH's surgery and now chemo.
We have 6 kids, their spouses, & 8 grandkids, and I've got most of their 'birthday quilts' done, in the last year. (I just make couch/big throw size) Still have 6 to do yet.
And now instead of a box of scraps, I have a whole spare room for my sewing goodies! :lol:
Old 01-27-2010, 05:34 PM

I have always being sewing something as long as I can remember. My mom and both grandmas were beautiful seamstresses. I made most of my clothes, and my sister's and later on my kids. When my oldest DD was about 2 1/2, she went from the crib to the "big girl bed" because her little brother needed the crib, I made her a quilt with Sun Bonnet Sue. She was more than willing to sleep with her new quilt made just for her. I was hooked. I continued to make clothing and later on worked at a bridal shop doing alterations. Then at a quilt shop (way less stress than the bridal shop) and now, everythig I do is quilting. I love having a creative outlet.