Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
What do you think this is worth???  Need help! >

What do you think this is worth??? Need help!

What do you think this is worth??? Need help!

Old 01-30-2010, 12:49 PM

Raffle is a great idea!
Old 01-30-2010, 12:49 PM

Raffle is a great idea!
Old 01-30-2010, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by hapytlk
For those of us who have used the patterns for cross stitch, the fabric is rarely 100% cotton. That being said, the only problem would be for durability. Putting it up on ebay and setting it around $15 to start..you may be pleasantly surprised with how high the bidding may get to! Good luck. I bet you will get a nice sum for it on ebay!!
that depends on the age of the item. i have tablecloths made by myself and my mil on 100% pure linen, from prestamped kits bought from 1950 - 1970. after that, you're right. they're blends. i have a linen one now that i bought at a yard sale for $2, with all it's napkins. it's badly soiled but i hope i can do something with it. same colors, btw.
Old 01-30-2010, 02:45 PM

wow that is a awesome quilt and i think u could get 500 or more with it its very nice and looks like they really did a good job on it...
Old 01-30-2010, 05:05 PM

Try selling chances on it at $1.00 each or 6 for $5.00 and set a date to have the drawing. We do one each year at our Senior Center and make about 500 to 800.00 .
Old 01-30-2010, 07:50 PM

If you do a raffle, see if there are any quilt guilds in your area & ask if you can display it at one of their meetings & sell tickets. Print up some pictures of it & some of their members may be willing to sell tickets since its for a charity. Another venue would be quilt shops.
Old 01-30-2010, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by butterflywing
that color combination and that type of floral design were popular in the 60's.
there was a catalog company called herschner's, i think, that sold the tops, stamped for embroidery. for ll i know, they are still in business. they also sold stamped tablecloths. this could have been intended as either one. you'll know when you measure.

in any event, it's a beauty. it's magic that it survived so well for so long. do you think you could make as much or more by selling raffle tickets for it in your community on your own?
if you decide to sell it on ebay, predetermine a bottom price so you don't get stung.
I agree, it does look like one that Herschners used to
have in their catalog. I'm pretty sure they're still in business, my DD ordered something from them a couple of years ago.
Old 01-30-2010, 08:31 PM

Worth and value? too different things I think. My feeling it is worth much more but in todays market what is its true value? people are not buying "fun" things. Quilts almost always fall in the fun thing category. A raffle is by far the best way I can think of to earn money for this. Ebay you set a minimum, if you can afford to wait.. maybe but even then the big tickets are not moving. A raffle people say ok $1, 2, $5 per ticket worth a shot.. and if enough people buy into it.. and sell those tickets in front of the grocery store, in front of a church .. SHOW the cause next to it so people feel good about what they are dropping the money into .. you can make it it just takes marketing. HELP US HELP.. and WIN! worth a try. Think you will make more than in ebay. Definetely more than on CL.

Good luck!
Linda
Old 01-30-2010, 09:01 PM

Definitely raffle it off, you'll get more money for it.
Yes, Herschnerrs is still in business, I get catalogs from
them regularly, and they still sell those kits.
Old 01-31-2010, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by MistyMarie
My mom volunteers at a "thrift" store that is a non-profit charity supporting an adult daycare center and soup kitchen. The other day, a lady wanted to pay $5.00 for this quilt, but my mom said it was worth quite a bit more. Many in the community do not see that it costs the charity $4000 a month in rent for the buildings that house the thrift store, the daycare, and the soup kitchen (that is open to the entire community every day), not counting the running costs of these places, so they want to get something for virtually nothing. That being said, my sister said she would put the quilt up on E-bay for sale to see if it could get more $$$ for the charity. She has no idea what to even expect. The quilt is completely hand done. My mom gently washed it and said there are a few small dirt stains, but otherwise, it is in excellent condition.

What do you think this quilt is worth/ what do you think they could get for it? Thanks for you help.
I bet the lady who offered $5 knows that she could make a great deal by reselling it, and hoped no one else knew it's value. I'm happy to hear your mom didn't let it go for that. A lot of others have said $500, and I agree - at least that!