Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • FMQ feathers practice - 2 table runners >
  • FMQ feathers practice - 2 table runners

• FMQ feathers practice - 2 table runners

Old 03-04-2010, 09:13 PM

Okay, I'm going to have to order this book!
    Old 03-04-2010, 09:15 PM

GOOD SHOW! <wave>
    Old 03-04-2010, 09:19 PM

Looks great!!! I wonder if one of those machines could help me do that good. I need a machine that I could quilt on. I just have no idea what to buy.
    Old 03-04-2010, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by dbarbey
    Looks great!!! I wonder if one of those machines could help me do that good. I need a machine that I could quilt on. I just have no idea what to buy.
    A good machine truly does make a difference.
    Old 03-04-2010, 09:51 PM

When I started free motion quilting, I needed two things - - feed dogs that drop down and an embroidery/darning foot.
    I have done free motion quilting with a Babylock, a Singer, a Europro, and just about any machine that will allow me to drop the feed dogs.
    Most of what you need is the COURAGE to just go ahead and start trying! (I know this because I know what stopped me from doing a lot of things that I had seen others do ... lack of confidence doesn't go away until you start practicing doing what you don't think you can do!)
    There are a lot of tips, and if you do a search on this forum, you will find all sorts of encouragement and ideas and books to buy and videos to watch ... YOU CAN DO IT! <wave> :thumbup:
    Old 03-04-2010, 09:57 PM
    Banned

Very wonderful work, and I love both your table runners, but the stained glass one is my favorite. thank you for sharing. Penny
    Old 03-05-2010, 01:07 AM
    k3n
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by omak
    When I started free motion quilting, I needed two things - - feed dogs that drop down and an embroidery/darning foot.
    I have done free motion quilting with a Babylock, a Singer, a Europro, and just about any machine that will allow me to drop the feed dogs.
    Most of what you need is the COURAGE to just go ahead and start trying! (I know this because I know what stopped me from doing a lot of things that I had seen others do ... lack of confidence doesn't go away until you start practicing doing what you don't think you can do!)
    There are a lot of tips, and if you do a search on this forum, you will find all sorts of encouragement and ideas and books to buy and videos to watch ... YOU CAN DO IT! <wave> :thumbup:
    COURAGE!!! Yes, that's great advice Omak! And a generous pinch of self belief plus tell yourself 'what's the worse that can happen?' :-D

Re the machine - before the Janome, I had a machine that dropped it's dogs and a darning foot and I could FMQ meanders and vague shapes. The Janome FMQ foot (I bought it as an extra) doesn't bounce with the needle - it has a little wheel that you adjust so the foot just skims the fabric. I tried this foot and the supplied foot (which has the bar over the needle screw) and find this one gives much more control. I also got the extra bobbin case which is adjusted to a lower tension and the stitches are much better. Along with the Janome's speed control, I think this is what has improved my FMQ so much. Plus I think my new machine to me is a little like 'Dumbo's feather' - you know, when he had it, he BELIEVED he could fly! :mrgreen:
    Old 03-05-2010, 05:19 AM
    Power Poster

K...I love your analogy...."Dumbo's feather"...you can tell I don't have kids...I haven't thought of Dumbo for years! :lol: :lol:
    Old 03-05-2010, 07:05 AM
    k3n
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by sandpat
    K...I love your analogy...."Dumbo's feather"...you can tell I don't have kids...I haven't thought of Dumbo for years! :lol: :lol:
    I think it was that bloomin' film that gave me my clown-phobia! :shock: :lol:
    Old 03-05-2010, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by k3n
    Originally Posted by sandpat
    I think it was that bloomin' film that gave me my clown-phobia! :shock: :lol:
    LOL oh, bless your heart!
    I couldn't watch the story after they were so mean to him ... to heck with the happy ending ... his mama and him had to go through too much mean for me to care.
    Funny story about the Jiminy Cricket.
    When my mother worked at the local Post Office, they got in a shipment of crickets. The owner of the shipment didn't pick the crickets up on Friday, so Monday - - when Mom got to work, the crickets had chewed out of their boxes and were all over the place!
    That was when she realized that she had always assumed that crickets looked like Jiminy Cricket! They don't ... LOL ... a lot of propaganda in that Dumbo movie! LOL <wave>