Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
work or no work >

work or no work

work or no work

Old 04-18-2010, 09:36 PM
Power Poster

I work full time. About a year ago they restructured my company and we were all changed from five 8 hour days to three 12 hour days. I thought I would hate it, but it's great. With four days a week off I have time to sew. Funny how things work out.
Old 04-19-2010, 12:56 AM

I work full time too - 39 hours over 5 days. I also volunteer at my local stables all day on Sundays. I don't get as much time to sew as I would like, but my partner and I both share the housework & cooking, so that's not too bad (I'm definitely not a perfectionist when it comes to home keeping - clean enough is fine for me).

I try to squeeze in a couple of hours on weekday evenings 2-3 times a week. On Saturdays, I try to get in either some handsewing or cross stitching.
Old 04-19-2010, 01:02 AM

I work nights, so if I am willing to give up some sleep while kid is at school, I can quilt then. I think I might commandeer bosses office (she is a quilter) as our therapeutic quilting room at work :)Not that we get much down time in the ED . . .
Old 04-19-2010, 03:50 AM

I work full time, but i try to fit sewing in when i can it relaxes me. Until my husband got lung cancer and 2wk later a heart attack and surgery for both my sewing time has really become limited, but i sew as much as i can, and because i am fairly new at embroidery and quilting i read all the tips i can get from you lovely quilters, it helps me alot. Denise
Old 04-19-2010, 04:14 AM

I work full time. 10 Hr each day 4 days a week 8 hrs on Friday. 1/2 hour lunch. Then I have 1hr commute to work. And a longer one home. I do hand quilting at lunch, and I try to get an hour in each night. But Sunday is mostly for quilting.
Old 04-19-2010, 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by NorBanaquilts
I work full time and commute an hour each way. Sewing helps keep my sanity and I fit it in wherever I can.
Exactly my life as well :-)
Hugs
April
Old 04-19-2010, 04:26 AM

I'm retired and still can't get quilts done in a timely matter. There's always something else to do and we're raising my granddaughter and I take her to school M-F so that she doesn't have to ride the bus for an hour. We have horses and other animals, we need to put laminate flooring in our home, build a shelter big enough for the 4 horses, clean and organize the garage and barn, organize my store room, etc., there's just not enough time in the day. Oh, also have to train the "baby" horse and take time to go riding. I need longer days. LOL
Old 04-19-2010, 04:29 AM

I have a full-time job & during this busy season work 6 days per week, go to the gym 4 days & come home & walk the dogs. I still try to get some sewing in even for 1 hr, I cut or piece, every little bit helps.
Old 04-19-2010, 04:30 AM

I work full time too = 9-10 hour days, 5 days a week, and one weekend a month. On the weekends when I'm now working, I go home to see my DH and animals and can sometimes stir myself to do some handwork when I'm there. I haven't even seen my sewing machine in so long, I'm going to have to get the instruction book out next time. I guess this is one reason I haven't finished any project (quilted or knitted) for at least 3 years...sigh.
Old 04-19-2010, 04:31 AM

I am retired,widowed,and all my children away from home,live with my DS and DIL,they are soooo supportive, I have Activity induced SOB and have to have constant O2. I do what I can to help around the house,which is not much if it is too active, I am relaxed and laid back ,My DIl is fast and antsy. lol so we make a good pair. They love to come into my room and see what I have done in the way of quilting,applique etc every night. My son says someday I will grow up and he wont have to keep a constant eye on me. lol So long story short. I can qult to my hearts desire. Tha Lord has been good to me. Jolo