Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
weight loss challenge with a prize.....July sign >

weight loss challenge with a prize.....July sign

weight loss challenge with a prize.....July sign

Old 07-01-2010, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by BonniFeltz
Is there a particular type of diet people are following? Weight Watchers, Atkins, South Beach? I have recipes for all of them and could share.
I am on a medically supervised diet. I am halfway through the mandatory 6 months of this diet. After that I will be having the gastric bypass.

I could use any all types of high protein recipes. My diet is 2/3 plant based and so any vegetarian recipes would be great too.

You are so sweet to do that for us! Thank you.

Missy
Old 07-01-2010, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by marymc
I am vowing to excersize every day in July before I sew. I walked to the office this morning to start it off! And my personal reward will be some new fabric if I lose 5 pounds by month end.
MaryMC,

New fabric is a great reward! I will be cheering you on too!!

I live near an indoor pool that has a water channel with an artificial current. I walk that channel 3-4 days a week for about an hour (which equals to about 2 miles). I am able to do that fairly well but once I get out of the pool it is a whole different story. Gravity stinks. LOL I do not do much walking out of the pool because it just kills my knees. So, that is why I spend so much time in the water.

I hope that by the time I am ready to have the gastric bypass that I am able to walk longer distances out of the water. I will continue to walk the channel but it sure would be nice to be able to just go outside and walk. Does anyone else have that problem or is it just me?

Missy
Missy
Old 07-01-2010, 11:39 AM

Diabetic Recipe - Chicken Jambalaya

From Diabetic Gourmet magazine

Chicken Jambalaya

Makes 6 servings.

Ingredients

1 Tbsp. olive oil

1 medium onion, chopped

2-3 garlic cloves, minced

3/4 lb. skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut in 3/4-inch pieces

1 can (14.5 oz.) whole plum tomatoes in juice

1 rib celery, cut in 1/2-inch slices

1 small green bell pepper, chopped

1 scallion, chopped

1 Tbsp. tomato paste

1 bay leaf

1 tsp. dried thyme

1/4 tsp. dried red pepper flakes

1 pinch ground cloves

1 cup hot long-grain brown rice, cooked according to package directions

Directions

In 3-quart Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic. Saute, stirring frequently, until onion is tender but not brown, about 4 minutes. Add chicken and cook, stirring, until pieces are white on all sides.

Add tomatoes with liquid, breaking up with spoon. Mix in celery, bell pepper, scallion and tomato paste. Stir in bay leaf, thyme, pepper flakes and cloves. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until chicken is cooked and sauce has thickened, about 20 minutes.

Remove bay leaf. Stir rice into chicken mixture until well combined.

Calories: 235;
Protein: 17 g;
Sodium: 203 mg;
Fat: 4 g;
Carbohydrates: 33 g
Exchanges: 2 Low-Fat Meat, 2 Bread/Starch. 1 Vegetable
Source: AICR
Old 07-01-2010, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by mrsdralshhadeh
IM IN!!!!
I weighed myself this morning,, and I am down to 139lbs!!!! I was 149 last month,,, but coming home with all this real food,,, lol.. not sure if this month is going to be a losing month or gaining month,,lol.. and my bday is soon,, so got to add on for the cake,, lol!!!
Way to go on the 10 pounds loss!!! That is great!!

Ahh...the birthday cake delimma... I think you should be able to have a small piece and then get back on the diet. That is what my dietician told me in May when it was my birthday. BTW, when is your birthday?

Missy
Old 07-01-2010, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by beachlady
Good luck everyone - I need will power!!! Can I pay someone - I seem to stick to a diet if I pay money!!! LOL One little fat quarter won't do it!!!
You can pay me! :) It doesn't need to be money (although that is nice) you can pay me in quilt squares or send me a 4.5" square for every pound you lose. Then I will put them together and make you a small quilt (depending how much you need to lose).
Old 07-01-2010, 07:07 PM
Banned

grannyj is in she couldn't find this so I have to send her the link tomorrow.
Old 07-01-2010, 07:10 PM

I would love to join in, but I am using HCG (not doctor prescribed, but still...) and I have lost 23 pounds in three weeks. I am thrilled to be losing weight because I just didn't seem to be doing it on my own. :oops:
Old 07-01-2010, 07:24 PM

Here is my favorite birthday cake.
Cut a watermelon in half the long way. Scoop out the pink, leaving only a shell (2). Remove seeds from melon and cut into 1" cubes. Cut cantalope, honeydew,and muskmelon into cubes or make melon balls. Mix with watermelon. Add blueberries, red & green grapes, and cut up strawberries. Finally, cut up a pineapple and add to mixture.

Sprinkle a little lemon or lime juice over fruit and chill. Serve by spooning fruit mixture into the hollow melon shells. Using large strawberries, poke candles into the tip of the berry so the large top can be used to keep the candle upright.

Sing appropriate song and serve in pretty bowls. Refrigerate leftover fruit.

Alternative: Pour diet ginger ale over fruit in the bowls to give some pizzazz.

Bake a dozen cupcakes, top with sugar free cool whip. Place strawberry candle holders on top of cupcakes and place cupcakes around the melon bowl. Mighty fine
Old 07-01-2010, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by MistyMarie
I would love to join in, but I am using HCG (not doctor prescribed, but still...) and I have lost 23 pounds in three weeks. I am thrilled to be losing weight because I just didn't seem to be doing it on my own. :oops:
Keep us posted on your weight loss, and it will be an encouraging experience for you.
Old 07-01-2010, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by Gwyn

Keep us posted on your weight loss, and it will be an encouraging experience for you.
I have about 100 pounds to go, so I have a LONG way still. I am hoping by this time next year, I will have lost it.