I need help ! >

I need help !

I need help !

Old 08-17-2010, 05:34 PM
Power Poster

It's beautiful!
Old 08-17-2010, 05:37 PM

Three words... Go for it!

When I started quilting my friends (actual quilters) laughed and told me I wasn't a quilter; I was a piecer. I would buy the most beautiful fabrics for a pattern and complete the top. But, I always chickened out when it came to quilt it and the new top joined an ever growing assortment of finished tops in storage bins. I couldn't bear the thought of ruining the pieced tops with my amateur quilting. I remained a piecer for many years.

Well, to my delight I actually pieced AND finished a quilt AND was pleasantly surprised with the results. I had bought a fabric with a large printed design for the backing that complimented the pieced top and free motioned around the flowers. I wish I could remember who to give credit to for the idea! But I believe it was a guest on Simply Quilts.

Once I got my feet wet and began taking classes and experimenting with different quilting techniques; I pull out finished tops from the storage bins to quilt and can't remember what the fuss was all about or what I was waiting for. My skills continue to improve with every top that I finish. My goal is to have one of my quilts on display in a quilt show and win a ribbon - While I'm still alive!

Quilt on Friend!

Front of Quilt (pieced top)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]98880[/ATTACH]

Back of Quilt (large printed design)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]98881[/ATTACH]

Quilt Tag
[ATTACH=CONFIG]98882[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-98875.jpe   attachment-98876.jpe   attachment-98877.jpe  
Old 08-17-2010, 06:31 PM

I love it. I would echo quilt the fabric dragonflies & then in the larger open areas I'd do a dragonfly in various positions of flight with swirl lines between them representing flight. You could also have some sitting on a flower.

To help with stitching ideas there is a series by Mary M. Covey called Follow-the-line Quilting Designs which includes full size patterns for blocks & borders. I have 3 vols. don't know if there's more, but they cover a wide variety of subjects.
Old 08-17-2010, 06:49 PM

I think it is amazing I can "see" quilt patterns in someone else's quilts, but can't figure out anything to put on mine. I "see" water lilies in the open spaces, veins on the dragon fly wings and waves in the blue.
Old 08-17-2010, 06:55 PM

I think I would do a little "internal" quilting of the body lines of the dragonfly so it does not "poof" when the rest of the quilt is quilted. outline quilt the ribbon, then small stipple the the rest of it. the stippling will just make the dragonflies and ribbon "pop".
if you can do feathers, Go for It ! that's on my learning list.
Old 08-17-2010, 07:37 PM

I don't have any suggestion on how to quilt it - but the top is so pretty. Love the colors and the dragonflies!
Old 08-17-2010, 08:17 PM

It's beautiful. Love the dragonflies!
Old 08-17-2010, 08:42 PM

google Leah Day lots and lots of ideas, she is doing 365 days of patterns, one a day for a year! and she has vidios on each one on how to do. super good ideas!
oh by the by super quilt!! love the dragonflies :-)
Old 08-17-2010, 09:10 PM

I'm usually horrible at this as well but this one says echo quilting to me! Show us what you come up with, I'm sure it will be beautiful!
Old 08-17-2010, 09:58 PM

love your dragonflies did you have a pattern for them?