Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
saving favorite fabric >

saving favorite fabric

saving favorite fabric

Old 10-02-2010, 09:02 AM

about 19 yrs ago, I bought this piece of fabric (from Jean Well's -Through the Garden Gate) I loved it so much, that I bought all they had which was about 10 or so yrds. Well about 3 months ago, I took a class on 4 patch stacked posies and guess what this fabric was the ideal piece for that pattern, it is at the quilter's on the wait list because it is too big for me to quilt it and I am happy I was able to cut into it BUT I still have some left.
Pat (homecaregiver)
Old 10-02-2010, 09:32 AM

There is a quilt book with patters for material like that,I think it is called "Just can't cut it" Might give a few ideas. Haven't used any yet, still don't want to use my material. Maybe one of these days.
Old 10-02-2010, 09:41 AM

It's really quite hilarious, saving a piece of fabric from being cut when that's why it was bought, but I have some of them, too. Now, the really sad thing is that I have a scrappy quilt with one random piece of fabric in it. That piece is from a project I made and gave away but loved the fabric and only had that little bit left. When I look at the scrappy quilt, my eye is drawn to that piece which should tell me to use more of those favourite fabrics.
Old 10-02-2010, 09:42 AM

I too am a fabric horder....there I admited it!! but one day my daughter came up to me and asked me when I was going to use one of my many favorites. Well, imangine my surprise when she told me....you know when you are gone, I'm having a garage sale and it is all going for a quarter!! That made me stop and think....why am I saving this fabric when I too could be enjoying snuggling up under a beautiful quilt.

I read the posts about people going to yard sales and finding the ''mother load'' of goodies and I don't want my favorites to end up someplace ''icky''....vbg!! but lining my casket is an idea!!
Old 10-02-2010, 11:40 AM

I`ve also been `hoarding` fabric for years and mostly recently (since our `baby` was put to sleep this past summer after 13.5 years) I`ve started buying fabric like I`m on `roids. I`m also teaching myself to quilt,, so in the meantime I`ve pulled out all the picture frames that I`ve collected at yard sales and framed swatches of my fabrics! Friends and family think the artwork looks great,, but yes they love me and would have saidd it looks good even if it doesn`t. i joined this message board a couple of days ago and you all are a great group of folks!!
Old 10-02-2010, 11:42 AM

jodimarie, may I use your idea of lining my casket? I think that`s the best idea!!
Old 10-02-2010, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Fancy Nancy
do any of you have some pieces of favorite fabric you have purchased that you just can't bring yourself to cut for a quilt? I have several I really love but am afraid to take the plunge and make a decision on what to make with them? Seems easier to use lesser liked fabric b/c if you goof up it does not hurt so much.
This is kind of like saving the good dishes for once or twice a year. My perspective is use it and love it, and don't save it for "someone else someday". I now have my silver pieces on the breakfast bar for cream and sugar, crystal for a biscotti holder, and I gave the good china to my oldest son, and use a good quality everyday dish. I do the same with my fabrics now, although at some point in the past I didn't. I still have a gorgeous piece of panne velvet purchased for an evening top, only now I could never make a top out of the yardage I purchased (styles and sizes change) so I am trying to figure out how to use it. :)
Old 10-02-2010, 11:58 AM

Oh yeah! I've got some. SO, its mine, mine,mine! and I'll keep it and pet it and even drape it over the sewing room chair sometimes just to take in the absolute excellance of it! I'll not cut it, trade it or hunt for a pattern to use it in. It will probably survive my death.... hey! wait a minute! Can I line my coffin with it? Then I can take it with me! Ta-da!!! problem solved!
Old 10-02-2010, 12:04 PM

Isnt it true that the `good` silverware and china was and for some is still only used for special occasions. Last Thanksgiving our ,at the time 6, grandson overheard some us talking with Granny, his great GrandMa, about whether or not to drag out the `good stuff` for the Holiday because some family members were coming that we hadn`t seen in a while and Thanksgiving was going to be extra special. Well River ask wasn`t all of us special enough for the `good stuff`? Needless to say, the good stuff is used for ALL occasions and hot dogs(not that Thanksgiving, maybe this year) made the china look more beautiful than I`d ever seen before.
Old 10-02-2010, 12:25 PM

I think we all need to take a break and take our OCD meds. lol