Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why??? (Price question) >

Why??? (Price question)

Why??? (Price question)

Old 11-12-2010, 04:27 AM

Maybe I'm not understanding Favorite Fabrics either or some of the other comments. Why would you want to use a wide backing fabric for piecing? That is way to much fabric to try and fold and cut for piecing. The difference in cost for 44" wide versus 108" to 120" wide should in my humble opinion be self explanatory. I believe Wilma was just trying to explain her fatbacks which are what many people consider wide backs but she/her business have named them fatbacks. She was also just trying to explain the quality/differences in them.

I don't work for Wilma but have purchased from her before and the quality is excellent.
Old 11-12-2010, 06:35 AM

Our 108" fabrics come from Benartex, RJR Fabrics, Moda and, Robert Kaufman fabrics, and yep the pricing is odd. Your 1.5 is right on the money. Most of the 108s are not as fancy as far as the print, but they seem to be the same weight as the other fabrics made by those companies. The Moda fabric, being a muslin, is hard to compare.

108" Fabrics
Old 11-12-2010, 07:03 AM

I have used sheets, long time ago, they were hard to quilt through (by hand), also they have a sizing on them that comes off in the wash and they are different after being washed.
Old 11-12-2010, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by Wilma Cogliantry
Hi Pat,

This was the message from Susan49 that caught my eye:
"I haven't use the 108" much because I don't find colors that I like. I have not noticed them being thinner. Just the opposite. They are usually very stiff. Some of our quilt shops carry fat backs. JoAnn have some. Be care at JoAnn because a lot of times the fabric shiffs as it is rolled on the bolt and they cut exactly on the measurement. By the time you square up the two ends you are short. I am using a longarm and need to square things up."
Susan49

I wanted to do two things:
I thought I might be able to answer some of the specific questions about the deliberate differences between regular widths fabrics and the wide goods meant for backing quilts and the reasons why. And, why they should or should not be used in quilt tops.

I started quilting in 1967. My husband, Jim, and I have been full time professional quilters for eleven years and we've quilted over 4,000 quilts from our customers. I like to share what I've learned. We've been selling wide fabrics for ten years and I have a lot of knowledge about how to work with the fabrics.

I also wanted to protect our product's name. JoAnn stores sell a lot of fabric from different manufactures. I don't. The wide goods that we cut into FatBacks® are not the kinds of goods that JoAnn's stocks. There is a reason for the price differences.
Whenever the word pops up in any form I try to respond and share knowledge.

I apologize for misunderstanding the topic.

Now, off to quilting! Wilma
Thanks so much for clearing that up.
Old 11-12-2010, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Quiltzilla
Our 108" fabrics come from Benartex, RJR Fabrics, Moda and, Robert Kaufman fabrics, and yep the pricing is odd. Your 1.5 is right on the money. Most of the 108s are not as fancy as far as the print, but they seem to be the same weight as the other fabrics made by those companies. The Moda fabric, being a muslin, is hard to compare.

108" Fabrics
Now I'm confused?!?! Went to your web site Quiltzilla and you have a 'fatback' section with widths from 54" to 108". So...what is a wide back, a fatback, a 54", a 60", a backing fabric, etc.?

I'm just learning the quilting lingo since I found this board and this thread is getting too confusing to me.

:-( :oops: :-(
Old 11-12-2010, 01:22 PM

FatBacks!® are 3 1/4 yard long cuts of wide-width fabric for backing Queen-sized quilts.

Our FatBacks® are sold at the three yard cost. We also sell our wide width fabrics in half-yard continuous units.

Many fabric stores sell wide width fabric. Only Christian Lane Quilters sells FatBacks!® We have a registered trademark on the name.

When other businesses use our name, FatBack®, in any form, such as: fatback, Fat Back, etc., to sell their wide width fabrics, it is a violation of our trademark.

JoAnn's Fabrics was using the word "fatback" to sell wide quilt fabric in their flyers a few years ago. They stopped doing so as soon as they were asked.

A "standard" quilt batting for a queen sized quilt is 90" wide by 108" long. Our FatBacks® are wide width fabric (from 108" wide to 118" wide) by 117" long (which is 3 and 1/4 yards). The extra inches on each side allow longarm quilters to mount the backing the batting and the quilt top on their machines properly for quilting. Our FatBacks® are sold at our three yard cost.

Our customers, many of whom are longarm professionals, love the fact that the backings are exactly the right size for their queen sized quilts.

Hope that is better and more helpful explanation. It always takes time to learn the lingo!

Here is a link to our home page. Our copyright information is at the bottom of the page
http://www.christianlanequilters.com/home.html
Old 11-12-2010, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Wilma Cogliantry
FatBacks!®...
We have now changed our wide fabric section to the name 'wide widths'. The fabrics there are cut to order.