Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
frustraited! >

frustraited!

frustraited!

Old 12-03-2010, 12:19 PM

One year I gave my mom sweatshirts with IOU a design of your choice on them because I didn't have time to embroider them. She loved it! We had a grand time choosing exactly what she wanted!

I think you've gotten some good advice from this board. Just remember what the REAL gift of Christmas is. Sometimes I have to remind myself we're celebrating the Birth!

I'm the choir director at church and very busy at Christmastime. Then, last December I had hand surgery so I started a new 'tradition'. My choir members get gifts on Epiphany which symbolizes when the wisemen visited the baby Jesus.

Take care of yourself, so you'll have many more holidays with those grandchildren. YOU are their best gift ... they'll remember that some day with great fondness.

Peggy
Old 12-03-2010, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
Originally Posted by Julie in NM
I agree. Don't sew. Shop! Gift cards are great. Kids and teens love CASH!!! Could get an inexpensive wallet, coin purse and put the money/gc inside. Get gift bags at dollar store..done! Focus on you and hubby. That's more important right now. No guilt now. You can sew for tkids during the year for your "therapy."
This is what I would tell you!
Amen! good advice. they remember a big hug more than the present anyway---and if they don't understand (no matter what their age), someone needs to "educate" them.
Take the stress off yourself ! Bid quilter Hugs from Montana !
Old 12-03-2010, 02:29 PM

I thought I was reading my story... I am in the same predicament except I only have one grandchild.. I am feeling so overwhelmed latel that I don't know what to do... hubby had a total hip replacement 2 Nov and has been home since and will remain home until after New Years. I have to do a lot of the driving he use to do, plus watch our grandson almost every day for at least 6 hours. I a medical problems to deal with myself and doing all the little extra's is really putting a damper in my schedule. What I decide is ... do what I can ... if it doesn't get done, take a picture and wrap it up and tell them their gift will be a little late this year. Get this... I started working on my projects after last Christmas knowing I would have a grandchild to take care of and I still managed to get behind. Take care and don't stress... your love is enough to give them for now... things will work out. Warm hugs from FL.. Janet
Old 12-03-2010, 02:39 PM

when my grands were thst age,they loved gift cards or checks made out to them. They also loved pillow cases made by Nana.
Old 12-03-2010, 03:00 PM

I'm behind myself and they are getting gift cards . The quilts will get to them as I finish during the new year ! I'm sure they will still like them as much !
Old 12-03-2010, 03:26 PM

How about whole cloth Quillows? Quick and easy if you have the stash to pull from.
Old 12-03-2010, 03:51 PM

I too vote for the gift cards. Have been doing this for years, even for the little ones. Trust me--the parents appreciate gift cards too.
Old 12-03-2010, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by magpie
You could also give them a 'coupon' to be redeemed when things slow down a little. Make it for whatever you were going to make in the first place.
Brilliant! I am using your idea!
Old 12-03-2010, 04:36 PM

Make these out of "fleese" and they're really warm and snuggelly. The kids liked to put there feet in the pillow part to keep their toes warm while they watched TV. etc. I made 14 one Xmas years ago. They're great to use in the car during the winter in case you end of stranded for some where. Plus, they are great behind the back while driving because they form to your body.
Originally Posted by crankygran
How about whole cloth Quillows? Quick and easy if you have the stash to pull from.
Old 12-03-2010, 05:31 PM

Any of your grandkids creative? Make up a bundle of the fabrics etc. for each one, with a note in the card that you will show them/help them to make their own project later in the year. All of you will appreciate the time you have together when you are not feeling strapped for time and effort.
You could give the younger ones some fabric colouring paint or pencils and have them make their own designs on the material before they make it up.