Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you vacuum out your machine? >

Do you vacuum out your machine?

Do you vacuum out your machine?

Old 12-26-2010, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by morelcabin
I use a Q-tip, but it doesn't reach as far back as it needs to
Ladies, this is Off-The-Wall usage - okay -- but, next time you go to your gynecologist to get a pap smear, ask him/her if you can get some of the wands they use to give pap smears. They about the length of a soda staw, about the width of the little plastic coffee stirrers, and have a wand on the end that sort of looks like a mascara brush. They're completely flexible and can get in all sorts of nooks and crannies on your machine to pick up lint.
Old 12-26-2010, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by gale
I just bought a small vacuum cleaner from nancy's notions for this but the attachments on it aren't very small either. I'm disappointed because that's obviously what they sell it for, but they won't even fit down into my bobbin area enough to suck anything out. I haven't decided yet if I want to return it (will cost me $$ because I'd have to pay to ship it back I'm sure plus not get shipping I already paid back) or try to tape something on it that will take smaller attachments. The way it is now, the hose end is not even round (it's a moon shape) so I can't use my existing tiny attachments on it. My attachments won't fit on my regular vacuum cleaner either.

I thought that you shouldn't blow air into it or you risk forcing the dust in even deeper. I know I read that somewhere...
If you take the brush off the small vaccuum that you bought from Nancy's Notions, you will be able to get it into the bobbin area. If you brush around the bobbin area with a cosmetic brush or a brush that should have come with your machine first to loosen the dust and threads, the little vacuum will pick it all up afterward. Works for me! You're right about blowing air into the machine to get rid of lint and dust. You should not do it!
Old 12-26-2010, 04:07 PM

I use my husband's electric shaver cleaning brush". It's a brush at one end and a baby-bottle brush at the other of the wire handle...but "teeny weeny" - about 4" long! It really gets into those small crevices below the needle/bobbin case and pulls up all sorts of "debris".
Old 12-26-2010, 04:43 PM

Ages ago I found a battery operated Mini Vacuum cleaner - Halloa seems to be the only thing like a brand name can find on the package. It was sold in a computer shop for vacuuming keyboards but works very well on sewing machines.
Old 12-26-2010, 04:45 PM

Because I have invested many dollars into Bernina sewing machines, I also have purchased an apparatus for cleaning with tiny attachments. The large end of the hose fits directly onto my ordinary floor vacuum while the tiny end has various tools for getting into the lower portions of the machine. Works like a charm! Caution ahead for those who blow into their machine either by mouth or by compressed air cans. This can cause damage beyond a repairman's expertise.
Old 12-26-2010, 04:51 PM

I use q-tips making sure they are tightly wound and my sewing machine brush seem to do a good job.
Old 12-26-2010, 05:17 PM

I got this for my hubby for Christmas to use on his computer and with some other projects he has. Guess what.....I think he's going to have to share it! It's about the size of a banana and has pretty good suction power.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product

I've never posted a link before. Hope this works.
Old 12-26-2010, 05:23 PM

I have one of those things that you hook to the vacuum. When I clean out my machine I always forget I have it. LOL
Old 12-26-2010, 05:25 PM

I didn't read thru all the messages but they have a mini kit at LOWE'S..by the shop vac's. I also use a pipe cleaner that I put thru a straw so that the fuzz end pokes out and the straw gives it stability..you would be amazed what that thing can find in lint. I swipe my bobbin area everytime I change bobbins.
Old 12-26-2010, 06:05 PM

http://www.amazon.com/Micro-Vacuum-A...ref=pd_sim_k_1

Amazon also carries the Vacuum Micro Attachments, and if you have an order over $25.00 you get free shipping.

Going to order this for 9 bucks and a couple of books I want to make it $25.00.