Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is your earliest quilt memory? >

What is your earliest quilt memory?

What is your earliest quilt memory?

Old 01-10-2011, 06:53 AM

Here's remembering my Aunt Edna's Dutch Girl quilts...when I stayed overnight at their house, I just LOVED those quilts. Now, I have some of her quilt blocks, the bow-tie, that were given to me and I intend to make a quilt out of those. I just love TOUCHING those blocks!
Old 01-10-2011, 07:10 AM

I remember one of grandma's quilts in our house. It is long gone now. I remember when it was on the bed my sister and I shared. Then it seemed to just float around bed to bed. My mother was not a quilter, nor a sewer. I have always been a sewer and now I am a quilter.
Diane/Wyoming
Old 01-10-2011, 07:30 AM

Seeing the quilts my grandmother made for me and my brother. I loved seeing fabrics that were used in dresses for my mother and me.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:40 AM

I remember sitting under my mothers quilting table - set up in the dining room - listening to the "church ladies" chat and gossip. It was a wonderful time for a three to five year old, sometimes another child would be there to look at the squares and watch the needles and fingers work. I remember it fondly.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:42 AM

You are so luck to have those memories. One of my grandmothers passed before I was born and the other when I was about 9. However, I do have a quilt made by the one. It is not pieced in a fun pattern just large blocks but that is ok she still made it and that is the important thing.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:51 AM

Oh, so many memories! I don't remember NOT having a quilt on my bed. Both my grandmothers and my mother quilted, although with 7 children my mother didn't have room or time to quilt much at home. Every month the church ladies got together to quilt for charity. I remember playing on the floor under the quilts. At some point the older ladies started calling me to thread their needles because they couldn't see well enough. My mother taught me to sew. When I was very small I hand stitched doll clothes and quilts. When I was about 8 I made a quilt block for a pillow cover. I still have it. None of the points are pointed, but it's my first quilt block. I still have quilts my grandmothers made me. They are warm and full of love.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:59 AM

All the above stories of grandmothers echoes my upbringing. Grandma's and quilts go together. Just think ladies of the memories we are starting for our grandkids. It's called passing on the warm memories and traditions. Keep quilting!
Old 01-10-2011, 08:42 AM

When I was about 8 or 9, I remember watching my grandmother quilting from an old wooden quilting frame hanging from the ceiling. She actually taught me to quilt by hand on that very frame. I started my grandson a quilt 6 years ago working on it whenever I have time. I have always had a love for fabrics and I think it was due to my grandmothers quilting when I was young.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:23 AM

I went with my Aunt to a quilting bee when I was 8. I remember threading needles for the quilting lables and wondering why They coukd not see. Now I know why they could not see! LOL Diane C.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:40 AM

I've loved reading all these memories, too.
My own earliest memories of "quilts" was sitting at my grandma's feet playing in her basket of little fabric squares while she sewed them together into rows. They were tiny squares--must have been postage-stamp. She cut up every piece of old clothing into scraps for quilting. I don't remember any actual quilts she made, although I do remember she had one on her bed for the winter. I would spend time at her house during summer vacation,and I was always amazed at all the "old-time" things she did. Her tiny house sat on an acre of fruit trees, and she canned like mad. I've never come across any as good as my grandma's canned peaches!
She also sewed everything she wore. She was so talented that she could go to a store, look at a dress, go home, make a pattern, and duplicate it exactly. She was a no-nonsense woman of Scots-Irish descent who had raised two boys pretty much on her own and didn't really have that much patience for teaching. That is unfortunate because I wish I had had the sense to "pester" her to teach me her skills before she passed in the mid-70s. I don't know what happened to any finished quilts of UFO that she had because her other son (my father's brother) swept in when she passed and took most of her things out of state with him.
I did inherit her 1923 Singer, once a treadle but my step-uncle put a motor on it for her when she tired of pumping. That machine, which my DH keeps bugging me to "get rid of" because with my cheap-o Kenmore I obviously don't "need it," is quite a bulldog--I sewed over several layers of denim with it, no problem. Used to be quite a chore to get to the end of a garment and have to turn the whole thing around to backstitch--it only went forward!
Thanks for sparking these memories.