Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric >

Fabric

Fabric

Old 02-06-2011, 07:34 AM

When i first started I shopped only at Joanns..thought it was nuts to spend 9.99 a yard when I could go there and spend 5.00...when I made quilts for my kids and husband I went to Keepsakes quilting shop in NH...it was more of a fun girls day....Wow...really nice fabric...the thickness is the difference. I bought a bunch and when sewing them I really noticed the difference...some people think its snobby to buy LQS...its not..there really is a difference and how it will wear over the years. And how it feels now. I now shop for fabric at my LQS...there are a lot around me...sadly a few went out of business but there are still at least 5 if not more in 1/2 hour distance. I do have my favorites and they all carry different lines.
Old 02-06-2011, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by jshorty
Love your response. I'm a newbie and don't want to buy expensive fabric on my beginning quilts. Maybe with more experience with fabric and quilting I will be able to tell the difference, now I only see a price difference.
It is easier to sew/quilt with better fabric. It is the difference between Walmart clothes and Macys clothes. Watch for sales!!!
Old 02-06-2011, 01:38 PM

Some people just feel better if they have spend more on a yard of fabric. Have to agree with Bailey!
Old 02-06-2011, 01:40 PM
Banned

What is the differene in 100% quilt fabric at $8-$12 per yard and 100% cotton fabric at $3-$5 per yard?
Sometimes nothing at all!! I've bought great fabric at both prices.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by gaigai
What is the differene in 100% quilt fabric at $8-$12 per yard and 100% cotton fabric at $3-$5 per yard?
Sometimes nothing at all!! I've bought great fabric at both prices.
Me too. :-)
Old 02-06-2011, 01:49 PM
Banned

no thread count on the bolt. the usual standard is abut 60x60 or 68x70 or somewhere thereabout. thread count causes less difference in the processing. Fabric starts ut at about 60" wide and then is shrunk down thru the process to about 38" and then stretched ut to about 44" (this was told to me directly by a chemist at one of the print pants). Lesser quality fabric goes thru fewer processes and finishing. One has to learn to feel the fabric and make judgment. Label is not always the clue. I have had pieces from all in a design group and found differences in the fabric. US printers go thru fewer processes. Overseas more.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:51 PM

Love your response. I'm a newbie and don't want to buy expensive fabric on my beginning quilts. Maybe with more experience with fabric and quilting I will be able to tell the difference, now I only see a price difference.
I know what you mean, I just started and I don't want to put a lot into the fabic because I'm afraid I'll mess up.
So far thats not happened but I've only done 3 quilts.
Old 02-06-2011, 03:06 PM

I went to Three fabric shops today...I cleaned out my stash this morning...to make room for more..LOL One of the places I went to was Martin House of Coth...wonderful prices...I bought the same line of fabric that I paid 9.99 for 7.99 and got one for half that price. (end of the bold...just had to buy what was left - 2 yards) http://www.martinshouseofcloth.com/