Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hand quilting >

Hand quilting

Hand quilting

Old 01-23-2011, 05:55 AM
Power Poster

I think there is a place for both. I'm doing a Dear Jane right now...I've hand quilted all the blocks and am machine quilting some in the border. I think everyone should do what is comfortable for them!
Old 01-23-2011, 06:00 AM

I am new to hand quilting -the more I do it the more I enjoy the proccess.
Old 01-23-2011, 06:03 AM

Another hand quilter checking in....I just recently started machine quilting so I could finish quilts for the grandkids quicker. And since they would get washed and handled more, I decided that machining them would be best. But my first love is hand quilting. There's nothing any more soothing. Hmmm, I'll have to try the audio books while hand quilting. Great idea!
Old 01-23-2011, 06:11 AM

I continue to hand pieace and hand quilt. I can hand quilt a king size on my floor stand hoop in approx. a month or so. I also mq and piece. I hand quilt for others .
Old 01-23-2011, 06:17 AM

I loved hand quilting but my hands just can not do it anymore. Just to painful. Now I am machine quilting on my domestic machine and teaching others how to do it. I do still do needle turn applique. I hate machine applique.
Old 01-23-2011, 06:18 AM

I do both hand and machine quilting. I am doing 2 farmer's wife quilts, one hand pieced and one machine pieced. I know the hand quilting will take a long time when the top is done, but for me hand piecing and quilting is so relaxing. I can hand piece and quilt while sitting watching/listening to the tv, sitting with my DH, and take it along when we travel. And I machine piece and quilt upstairs in my own little private world. Life is good when I have a place to go to escape from the DH too!!
Old 01-23-2011, 06:21 AM

My SIL`s had quilting party`s and we had sooo much fun hand quilting. Ofcourse I was the youngest and didn`t know how to do it. I think they took mu stiches out after I left and did it over. So I made an easy quilt, you know, sheets on top & bottom. and sewed around the print. By the time I was done, it looked O.K. but wanted to get better, and bought myself a "hand quilting needle" It was about 1" long, I couldn`t see the hole to thread it. Why was it so SMALL?
Old 01-23-2011, 06:38 AM

I hand piece and hand quilt. It is my relaxation and therapy. I guess I am just an old traditionalist. I love making scrappy quilts and backing them with muslin just as my GM did. We do have a much better grade of muslin these days. I think my GM called it "domestic".
Old 01-23-2011, 06:39 AM

i hand quilt,but od small things on the machine. If i could fmq i probably would do lots more on machine. i do enjoy hq, but my stitching leaves a lot to be desired!!!
Old 01-23-2011, 06:39 AM

I machine piece, hand applique, and hand quilt. I do longarm quilting as well and am getting quite good at it. I do a lot of community quilts and it would be impossible if we didn't machine quilt them! But for those very special quilts, I still will hand quilt them