Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Serger?? >

Serger??

Serger??

Old 02-08-2011, 02:15 PM

I traded in my Singer for a janome. I found a Brother at a yard sale for $20.00 and I believe it is my favorite. I couldn't get by without a serger.
Old 02-08-2011, 02:20 PM

If you can afford it get a Babylock with the air thread system. No headaches. I had a Pfaff for 15 years and hated it. It was much smarter them I am. The Babylock is a breeze to use and no frustration.
Old 02-08-2011, 04:17 PM

I have an old White serger (bought in 1985) that I don't use anymore because I wanted a 4 thread. But it serges beautifully Then I bought a Bernina serger - sews beautifully but it fought with me every time I tried to thread the loopers. then I fell in love with the BabyLock Imagine - it automatically threads the loopers with a push of a button. Sews beautifully, came with 6 extra feet, automatically adjusts the tension. It's my favorite.
Old 02-08-2011, 04:31 PM

I got the Brother 1034D from Amazon. Love, love, love it. It's easy to thread, works great, has the differential feed, extra feet, 4 threads. I paid $192 and got free shipping. I've all-ready used it to make pillowcases, and to seam some fleece. Good luck whatever you decide.
Old 02-08-2011, 05:26 PM

I have a $999 Viking that threads itself and I have never used it! Mom has it at her house and makes quilt labels for me when I need them. I should add that the serger was a gift to me.
Old 02-08-2011, 05:57 PM

I bought my Janome from Overstock.com for less than $200.00, refurbed. Have had no problems and use it lots for flannel jammies and pillowcases. Like the rolled hem for sheer fabric clothing construction. Might want something more expensive if I did specialty stuff, but this one meets all my needs.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:09 PM

I have had an Elna and a Pfaff serger in the past. Both were so,so.
I now have a Baby Lock Evolve and would not part with it unless it were to get another one. It virtually threads automatically with air pushing the thread through tubes, doesn't have to be thread in any order and no tension discs to worry about - however, it was not cheap.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:55 PM

Location: Once an Iowan, always an Iowan, but now suburban Chicagoland

Imagine = LOVE IT

but I have a Singer with differential feed and cover stitch which I keep threaded for the cover stitch and that is all I use it for....
Old 02-08-2011, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by BATIKQLTR
I would recommend going with a $200.00 one to start with and see if you like using a serger. I bought a Viking 910 for $1000.00 and I would use it more if it worked, or I understood it better. Most complaints come from threading the machines. There is one that will "whoosh" and thread it for you, however, when the "whoosh" is gone you either need to pay for repairs or do it manually anyway. It just takes practice. I'm about ready to take mine and throw into the parking lot of the dealer!! If I had bought a less expensive one I could have bought 5 new machines by now.

The machine is going to make the same stitch, no matter how much you pay for it. So why pay more till you know you are going to love it!!!!

I do love making up pillowcases on mine. And I sew the seams on totes so they are good and strong. That is when it cooperates with me......................

Have fun and good luck!
I have a Viking 905...absolutely LOVE it! Owned a older Brother and older White before this and HATED them. Spent all my time rethreading the darn thing and took me ...it seemed about 15minutes each time.. Bought the Viking used....sounded like the woman used it ALOT for $200..I have never had a problem...never in for service (I keep it clean) and can sew and sew without the thread breakage problems. I would say the differential feed is a must, and if you can find a good one used...it would be best until you figure out if you like it and will use it.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Ginaky
I used to sell Singer machines and sergers--I bought Pfaff while I was doing it. Unless Singer has greatly improved their sergers, I wouldn't have one.
Ouch!