Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Weight loss challenge with a prize.............Oct sign up >

Weight loss challenge with a prize.............Oct sign up

Weight loss challenge with a prize.............Oct sign up

Old 10-26-2010, 05:59 PM

I weighed in at WW this a.m. and lost 1.8 lbs. more for a total, thus far this month, of 10 lbs. I am so excited. Finally, I am feeling my pants loosen in the waist (just a little) but see it in my face. YAYYYYYY!!!!
Old 10-26-2010, 06:04 PM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

Originally Posted by dgrindey
I weighed in at WW this a.m. and lost 1.8 lbs. more for a total, thus far this month, of 10 lbs. I am so excited. Finally, I am feeling my pants loosen in the waist (just a little) but see it in my face. YAYYYYYY!!!!
Congratulations!!!
Old 10-26-2010, 06:07 PM

Yippee!!!!
Old 10-26-2010, 07:04 PM

10 lbs in 4 weeks is awesome... congratulations
Old 10-27-2010, 06:28 AM

Remember that 6.4 lbs I lost? Well, this week I gained 6.3 lbs. Boooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*sigh* It's my own damn fault. I'm going to try my best to watch what I eat this week. Wish me luck! lol
Old 10-27-2010, 07:24 AM

thanks to all of you and don't worry, you will take off that 6.3 lbs again. Just takes a little time to get your brain in gear.
Old 10-27-2010, 01:37 PM

Okey dokey folks. It is time for the Hungry Girl to drop in on our little group. (NOOOO. I am NOT the Hungry Girl but I have not had a snack yet so does that count towards me becoming the Hungry Girl?) Anyway....

Today's message is brought to you by the dynamic duo theory. What is that you ask? Well it is where you mix together a box cake mix with another item making a dynamic yummy snack/dessert/breakfast/whatever. :) What are those items you ask? Buckle your seat belt cause I am about to take you on a Dynamic Duo Ride!!! (By the way, I have tried ALL of these and I absolutely agree with each of her comments.)

Cake Mix + No-Sugar-Added Applesauce

PER SERVING (1 piece, 1/12th of cake): 179 calories, 3.25g fat, 299mg sodium, 36g carbs, 0.5g fiber, 21.5g sugars, 1.5g protein -- POINTSŪ value 4*

Ingredients:
One 18.25-oz. box moist-style cake mix
1 cup no-sugar-added applesauce

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Combine ingredients in a large bowl and add 1 cup water. Whisk thoroughly and transfer to a baking pan sprayed with nonstick spray; bake in the oven until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean. (Refer to cake-mix box for pan size and approximate bake time.)

MAKES 12 SERVINGS

Best Flavor: Yellow cake mix. It goes perfectly with the fruity taste of the sauce.

The Texture: VERY moist and fluffy. A+!

The Taste: AMAZING!!!! Sweet and slightly apple-y. Two YUMS up...

Cake Mix + Diet Soda
PER SERVING (1 piece, 1/12th of cake): 171 calories, 3.25g fat, 301mg sodium, 34g carbs, <0.5g fiber, 19g sugars, 1.5g protein -- POINTSŪ value 4*

Ingredients:
One 12-oz. can diet soda

Directions:

Combine ingredients in a large bowl. Whisk thoroughly and transfer to a baking pan sprayed with nonstick spray; bake in the oven until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean. (Refer to cake-mix box for pan size and approximate bake time.)

MAKES 12 SERVINGS

Best Flavor Combo: Yellow cake mix + diet cream soda. Runners-up include lemon cake mix + diet lemon-lime soda and devil's food cake mix + diet cherry cola.

The Texture: Moist and light.

The Taste: Pretty darn impressive! However, if you're sensitive to the sweetener in diet soda, you may notice a slight aftertaste... especially if you use cola of any kind.

Cake Mix + Canned Pure Pumpkin
PER SERVING (1 piece, 1/12th of cake): 183 calories, 3.5g fat, 301mg sodium, 37g carbs, 1.25g fiber, 20.5g sugars, 2g protein -- POINTSŪ value 4*

Ingredients:
One 15-oz. can pure pumpkin

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Combine ingredients in a large bowl. Mix thoroughly -- batter will be VERY thick -- and transfer to a baking pan sprayed with nonstick spray; bake in the oven until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean. (Refer to cake-mix box for pan size and approximate bake time.)

MAKES 12 SERVINGS

Best Flavor: Devil's food cake mix is CLEARLY a classic choice. (Hello?! Yum Yum Brownie Muffins!) But spice cake mix... WOW. Yellow and white cake mixes, sadly, do not work as well.

The Texture: Thick and dense in the BEST possible way. Brownie-like, in the case of the devil's food; the spice cake reminded us of pumpkin bread!

The Taste: No one would ever guess this is guilt-free in any way. It's delicious!

Cake Mix + Fat-Free Liquid Egg Substitute
PER SERVING (1 piece, 1/12th of cake): 181 calories, 3.25g fat, 337mg sodium, 34.5g carbs, <0.5g fiber, 19.5g sugars, 3.5g protein -- POINTSŪ value 4*

Ingredients:
1 cup fat-free liquid egg substitute (like Egg Beaters Original)

Directions:

Combine ingredients in a large bowl and add 1 cup water. Whisk thoroughly and transfer to a baking pan sprayed with nonstick spray; bake in the oven until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean. (Refer to cake-mix box for pan size and approximate bake time.)

MAKES 12 SERVINGS

Best Flavor: Egg sub is like the little black dress of cake companions; it goes well with everything.

The Texture: The first time we made this, we used only 1/4 cup water; it was a little dry and dense, but it reminded us of pound cake, which isn't a bad thing. With a full cup of water, it came out light and fluffy. It had a more substantial, cake-like consistency than the applesauce and soda versions, but it wasn't quite as moist.

The Taste: Good! But it's not our favorite. That one's up next...

Cake Mix + Fat-Free Greek Yogurt
PER SERVING (1 piece, 1/12th of cake): 180 calories, 3.25g fat, 306mg sodium, 34.5g carbs, <0.5g fiber, 20g sugars, 3.5g protein -- POINTSŪ value 4*

Ingredients:
1 cup fat-free plain Greek yogurt (like Fage Total 0%)

Directions:

MAKES 12 SERVINGS

Best Flavor: Devil's food cake mix. Hands down.

The Texture: The word "velvety" comes to mind... Super moist and decadent! Kind of like a brownie-cake hybrid.

The Taste: YUMMY! Everyone who tried this loved it. There wasn't any yogurt taste at all... just pure cake-tastic deliciousness!

So. There you go. Why are you still reading this?!?! Why aren't you in the kitchen making one of these fabulous duos???

:):):)

Missy Girl
Old 10-27-2010, 04:02 PM

Hmmm I wonder if these would work with the gluten free cake mixes?
Old 10-27-2010, 04:04 PM

Good for you! I am really struggling his past week. I weigh in tomorrow.
Old 10-27-2010, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by lauriejo
Hmmm I wonder if these would work with the gluten free cake mixes?
YES!! They certainly would.

Missy