Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
OMG - What is with the Post Office lately >

OMG - What is with the Post Office lately

OMG - What is with the Post Office lately

Old 02-16-2011, 03:39 PM

I know a lot of quilt shops used to stuff a flat rate envelope full so it was 2-3" thick.

Out post office has told us you can't do that anymore and they won't accept them. Since you have to leave the packages with the workers or on the counter, you can't get away with these big envelopes!
Susan
Old 02-16-2011, 06:07 PM

just to let you know there is a special rate for books and such things as cds and dvds i believe it is lower than the regular shipping rates ask the next time you mail books had to go find this for you this is from the USPS website:

Media Mail
Send your printed or recorded material using this service.
Media MailŪ service is a cost efficient way to mail books, sound recordings, recorded video tapes, printed music, and recorded computer-readable media (such as CDs, DVDs, and diskettes). Media Mail can not contain advertising except for incidental announcements of books. The maximum weight for Media Mail is 70 lbs.

There are presorted rates available for bulk quantities of Media Mail (minimum quantity is 300 pieces).
A barcode discount is available for Media Mail.
Rates are based on weight and size.
Old 02-16-2011, 06:17 PM

What gripes me is that we have to send our DD in the Army in AF Practically everything. She has electricity in her barracks but all the outlets are 220. So we shipped her transformers.The last deployment my husband shipped all kinds of stuff. As long as the box was tapped it was OK. But now they have changed to smaller boxes so that you cannot send as much in the box. We have to send menstrual supplies ,toothpaste etc. My husband had to pay an extra
$ 10 for a box full of toiletrys. Pisses me off.
Old 02-16-2011, 06:42 PM

I mailed several packages by media mail on 1/6/11 and all but one person has gotten theirs.. talk about slow, I think it's not..too bad they don't have a little competition.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by davidwent
I just got finished PM'ing a friend of mine because a package(priority envelope) has not arrived. It's been clos to 4 weeks!! I thought at least it would come back to me. And no...stupidly I didn't get a DC. stupid stupid stuoid I'll never do that again!
David
I learn not to mail any package with out DC. mailed a package of clothing to DD years ago and didnot do it and the PO would not do a thing about tracing it because I didnt Put DC on it
Old 02-16-2011, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
What a pain! We still have flat rate box ads, but they don't mention the envelopes anymore.
Just in case you think it is just you.....I just recerntly discovered that the Post Office does not charge everyone the same for PO Boxes either. I pay $40 per year, and my daughter, in another state, pays $100! Both PO boxes are in USPS offices!
Old 02-16-2011, 10:16 PM

If your PM keeps returning mail that is CORRECTLY addressed, continue to turn her in to her superiors. If she's doing wrong, & enough people report her, she won't get her bonus. I have no complaints with our local PO. The clerks are always friendly & quite knowledgeable.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:31 PM

Does your daughter live in a town with city carriers? I use to live in a small town without city carriers & my box rent was only $40 because I had no other option for mail delivery. The neighboring city has city delivery so if you want to rent a PO Box in order to get your mail earlier than when your carrier gets to your house (or for any other reason) there is a higher charge. That's because there's other delivery options available and a PO Box is kind of a luxury or convenience item.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by scrappylady
Here is a good one for you.
We recieved a letter Friday that wasn't for us. The ONLY thing the same on the address was our house number 2345, street name and last name no where near the same. ( Plus these folks live about 15 miles from us. After 15 years, I know right where they live and have spoke to them on the phone !!!)
Now on the the rest of the story...So Saturday I take the letter to another post office and send it back to these folks, with written on letter "delivered to wrong address". WELL, Monday I get the same letter back!!!!! SO I drove back to the post office where we live and handed it to them and said, "please make sure this gets to the right house, this time"
I got the strangest look...like what are you talking about...I have recieved at least 20 pieces of mail for these folks over the years and even called them to make sure they have gotten some of it!!! Like graduation announcements, (easy to tell from the outside,) bills etc.... Makes me wonder where my mail goes!!
Probably one reason the letter came back to you....the barcode at the bottom of the envelope was not totally blacked out. If an incorrect barcode was sprayed on by a computer & that barcode is not TOTALLY blacked out, the computer will still read it as your address and sort it accordingly. If the mail is cased by hand, perhaps this other person's address is directly above or below yours on the carrier's case. Nowadays, there is a big push to sort & carry the mail faster to cut hours. Some carriers will sort 2 or more routes in a morning & then carry 1 or more on the street. They are not given the time to do the quality of work they did in the past. I carried mail for 32 yrs & I would hate to be a sub nowadays. They are pushed to bring in numbers like a machine. I loved my job & customers, but it's not the world it once was. I'm not trying to make excuses, just trying to explain what MIGHT have happened. BTW..we also get mail occaisionally for someone that lives a couple miles from here...not the same number, street OR name. His name is above ours on the carrier's case & we can always tell when our carrier is sorting in a hurry. We put it back in the box with the flag up so the carrier can see he made a mistake & redeliver it to the right house. Good luck, I hope your problems are solved soon & this gives you a little insight. Don't be afraid to bring it to the attention of your carrier. If you have a good one, he/she will probably thank you.
Old 02-17-2011, 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by CountryCat
Does your daughter live in a town with city carriers? I use to live in a small town without city carriers & my box rent was only $40 because I had no other option for mail delivery. The neighboring city has city delivery so if you want to rent a PO Box in order to get your mail earlier than when your carrier gets to your house (or for any other reason) there is a higher charge. That's because there's other delivery options available and a PO Box is kind of a luxury or convenience item.
I live in a small town as well, and the PO does not deliver to my house, they drive by and deliver up the street though, go figure. Any way I get a free PO BOX. Just regular size for mail. They put a card in my box if I have to go to the desk to pick up anything I have to sign for or large packages. Of course I had a fight with them, since there is very little between our town and the next. They could not determine if we lived in one town or the next. We spent half our day going back and forth between PO's. We then went to the supervisor Post Mistress and she said, "your water bills are sent to...the other town" My DH said no they are not. It just so happened we had our water bill in that day's mail. We showed her. She shut her mouth and now are PO BOX is free otherwise would have been 40 a year