Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I just love handquilting! >

I just love handquilting!

I just love handquilting!

Old 03-18-2011, 12:34 PM

For more years than I like to remember I tied all of my quilts, always longing to hand quilt. I started by making table runners and now I do the quilts. For many years I produced and sold hundreds of quilts. At the time it was great. Now I am so satisfied just making a few and hand quilting them. I'm sure age has nothing to do with it LOL.
Old 03-18-2011, 12:55 PM

I also love handquilting. I use the small round metal thimble that is attached by adhesive dots. It is called UltraThimble. I use it on 2 or 3 different fingers on the underhand. (only one finger at a time.) This way I keep my fingers from getting so sore, because I often have to use a bare finger when I go over a thicker spot as I quilt. It is difficult for me to keep a callous on my fingers because I quilt in spurts and they heal so quickly! I encourage anyone to keep at it - everything comes easier with practice, I used to watch my mother when she was my age and wondered how she thought it was fun, but life has hurried on and now she's 89 and I'm repeating the fun!!
Old 03-18-2011, 03:18 PM

i haven't tried machine quilting. i really love handquilting. (i piece by machine)i used to sew a lot and always enjoyed hand sewingl. the quilting by hand is relaxing. i think at the machine i would feel pushed to get it done.
Old 03-18-2011, 03:36 PM

That's why I call myself an addict. I love to hand quilt and find
I am not qute myself if I can't do a little of it each day...a lot
each day is better.
Old 03-18-2011, 04:24 PM

I only do hand quilting and love it.
Old 03-18-2011, 04:30 PM

I am so jealous of all you hand quilters. I have arthritis so much in my hands and fingers I can't do it. I am looking for someone to hand quilt a double wedding ring for my son and his wife. My son is graduating from medical school soon and I would love to have this king sized quilt hand quilted for them. Do you or do you know of someone who does it for money? I would love to find someone in the northwest who could do this for me.
Old 03-18-2011, 04:41 PM

Add me to the list of hand quilters, even though I am not an expert, most of my quilts are hand done, by me! They seem to be a bit more personal when making a gift and I feel there is lots of love put into them, and I always put on the lable, "Made with love in every stitch"... and I mean it. <3
Old 03-18-2011, 04:57 PM

Ah yes, hand quilting with No.5 Pearle cotton.....it takes some doing but it is so beautiful when it is finished! I did one like that for my hubby and finally finished it last year. I'm ready for another!
Old 03-18-2011, 05:58 PM

I enjoy hand quilting, needle turned applique, and hand piecing. However, I mostly piece by machine now, and am teaching myself to machine quilt. Have so many quilt tops to get quilted and just can hand quilt them all. Not enough hours in my day. When my finger gets sore from handquilting, I stop for the day and work on something else. Doing it this way takes a little more time to get your finger conditioned, but it does get there.
Old 03-18-2011, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by laceybritt
My first quilt was a whole cloth hand quilted, it took me 3 years to finish!
I don't hand quilt many baby or quilts I know will be 'loved a lot' because they put them away and don't use them.
I use different fingers under my quilt and rubbing alcohol on them after each quilting session.
I use "Zinc Oxide", it comes in a tube..get it at the drug store.
I put it on, cover with a band aid, and in the morning it looks
much better.