Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
anyone else remember the days when they clipped and ripped the fabric? >

anyone else remember the days when they clipped and ripped the fabric?

anyone else remember the days when they clipped and ripped the fabric?

Old 04-13-2011, 04:54 AM

Yes,and I still do.
Old 04-13-2011, 05:03 AM

Hariet hargrave recommends tearing to get a straight grain - It depends on what I am doing
Old 04-13-2011, 05:18 AM

I rip fabric on the cross grain, when I cut EXTRA wide fabric for "my in shop" customers and "online" customers. I cut 38" as a yard instead of 36" to be generous to allow for shrinkage when washing. It is also important to cut all 4 corners off (just a small corner)to stop the raveling, so when it is machine washed the fabric won't unravel. I know some say it puts stress on the threads of the fabric, but when you are cutting fabric for a backing for a quilt, you need it STRAIGHT!

Do you remember when we used to straighten the fabric by pulling a cross grain thread and then cutting it on that line with a scissors? That would be an excellent way to straighten your fabric without the stress of the tearing.

So that's how I cut the Extra wide backing fabrics in my quilt shop, because I need them straight.
Old 04-13-2011, 05:25 AM

Yes I remember when they use to rip the fabric. It seemed to be so much straighter then than it is now.
Old 04-13-2011, 05:33 AM

I always used to cut and rip till I found quilting and rotary cutters. I have just spent most of the day re cutting squares that someone gave me that had been ripped into strips then cut into squares, the biggest problem I found today with the ripped edges where some threads are a little bit stronger than others and can pull the threads a bit on the fabric leaving little gathers on the edge.
Old 04-13-2011, 05:38 AM

My mom worked at a department store that sold fabric. I can still remember standing there and watching them run the edge of the fabric through the brown machine to measure it and then pulling the handle to make the nip on the edge. Then they ripped it. I have been to stores that still rip and I love it because it gives you the true crosswise grain. I was in a store in Kentucky a couple of years ago that ripped their fat quarters.
Old 04-13-2011, 05:51 AM
Banned

I still clip and rip..I have never noticed my fabric "stretching", but if yours does then simply wash it and it will shrink back to were it needs to be, or if you are of the NO washing set, then spray it and iron and it will be fine...

I have one of the measuring machines and it works just fine!

I was also taught to PULL threads in sheers and always cut plaids and strips by opening up the fabric and cutting with scissors...if you buy a plaid now and it is cut with a rotary you can kiss 5" or more good bye when you try to straighten it out at home!

back in the day, tearing was a faster way of cutting, but it also showed the buyer the quality of the fabric! It always tore ON GRAIN so your fabric was easier to use!
Rotary cutting does not nothing to enhance the quality of your purchase!
Old 04-13-2011, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by AlienQuilter
If you shop at the Quilt in a Day tent at Paducah, they rip it. But they give a little extra to make up for it.

I bought a bunch of fabric for a quilt once, I needed a lot of 1/4 yard cuts so I could make strips. Well, the "elbows" were so bad that my strips were only to the elbow!

I would rather have it ripped/torn than to have someone cut it who has not been properly trained to do so.
That is the way our LQS does it--they add an inch to make up for the tear. I think tearing "went out of style" when blended fabrics came on the market--The blends simply do not tear readily like all cotton fabrics do.
Old 04-13-2011, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by chairjogger
Anyone remember the days that the fabric was clipped by scissors then with two hands ripped so the fabric would be straight? Or, was she just the madd madd fabric ladie of J C Penny's? hah! Yes, that is where I got my fabric for my "Marsha Marsha" Brady clothes I made.
Yes I remember ! and remember those counter devices with a dial on top - they'd run the yardage through it to measure & make the clip ?
One LQS I worked & taught at not long ago still had us clip and rip, the owner didn't allow ANY rotary cutting
Old 04-13-2011, 06:30 AM

I was in a new (to me) fabric store in Frederick MD last weekend and was shocked - and thrilled- when she clipped and ripped my fabric instead of cutting. When I commented she said "well, that is the only way to ensure you are getting what you paid for". Needless to say, they have my business from now on.