Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What inspired you to start quilting? >

What inspired you to start quilting?

What inspired you to start quilting?

Old 04-17-2011, 09:40 AM

(2003) Elinor Burns' Quilt In A Day
Old 04-17-2011, 09:42 AM

When I was little, I would play underneath the quilting frame while my great-aunt Nan and her group the War Mothers would quilt. I always said I would never quilt because I thought it was silly to stick your thumb. lol Of course, I do and love it. But machine quilting is much easier. Aunt Nan also taught me to crochet. She was a very talented lady.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:47 AM

Walking by a LQS about the time I decided to "retire" I saw a beautiful machine embroidered quilt that I knew my granddaughter would love. My DH and I walked in and he bought me my 1st Bernina Artista Embroidery machine. The shop owner did not have a pattern for the quilt but she took pictures of each block and the border pieces, guess which shop in town is my favorite? I made my first quilt with a brand new have to learn how to use it computer machine and no pattern. I can't even tell you how many quilts I have made since then, hundreds! I love quilting and using embroidery of some kind on my quilts and I LOVE retirement because of my new hobby.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:50 AM

I grew up with quilts, and not being from the affluent side of the tracks, my brother and I wore out whatever our grandmother had done. (From what I have heard about her, she would have pleased to think she had kept us warm!!) My dad was known as "difficult to get along with" but one of the best things he ever did for me was casually toss a completed top my way and say "I found this in a box I was ready to pitch out and maybe you can do something with it." It was a perfectly hand pieced "Trip Around the World" that had "1906" embroidered on the center patch and my husband slapped a frame together. I did finish it and have hand-quilted ever since.
Old 04-17-2011, 10:26 AM

My sweet mother " encouraged" me to take a quilt class with her. We both sewed and I was really into cross-stitch. Well, as they say the rest is history! I love looking at our first projects and remember our fun being together. Sadly, she is bed-ridden and is slowly dying. She has forgotten to do a lot of the fun things but we are still close. I moved 8 hours away from her and thank God for my quilting.It is the best stress reliever! Thanks, Mom.
Old 04-17-2011, 10:33 AM

My mom is crafty and artistic but I only ever drew and painted...making crafts was fun but nothing I ever did as a hobby and even when I did them (or paintings) I sometimes didn't know what to do with them.

About 15 years ago I saw an article about a strip quilt in a Woman's Day magazine, and thought it was pretty and would look good on my bed. I made it and a few others and realized that this was a craft that was useful and would be used, vs. the tongue depressor reindeers or other little things.

One of these days I will have to learn how to sew clothes.
Old 04-17-2011, 10:36 AM

My mom taught me to sew when I was little. She makes beautiful garments and we did lots of crafts as I was growing up. I wanted to quilt ever since I read the Little House on the Prairie books. I tried to do a log cabin when I was 12 but had no help and gave up. In college I met a wonderful "grandmother" who taught me to do a small.Amish quilt. When I graduated she gave me her sewing machine. Now I'm 40 and still learning!
Old 04-17-2011, 11:16 AM

My mother had two quilts that were my grandmothers. One is a Dresdan Plan and the other is a scrappy. I just loved them even as a child. My grandparents lived far away but those quilts made me feel connected.
Old 04-17-2011, 11:18 AM

Have been doing needle arts since I was about 8 years old. Quilting never interested me till I watched Georgia Bonesteel sew strips together, cut them and sew them together again. I was hooked. Lap Quilting with Georgia Bonesteel on PBS was the start.
Old 04-17-2011, 11:20 AM

When I was little, I would play underneath the quilting frame while my DGM quilted in the church bacement she also made curtains and slipcovers for a living and would let me play with her scraps I made my first quilt when I was 15 I am retired now I do all kinds of sewing. It's so nice to have free time to sew.I have a quilt my DGM made for my son when he was a baby he is now 47