Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Sewing Room - Help - Wall to Wall carpet >

Sewing Room - Help - Wall to Wall carpet

Sewing Room - Help - Wall to Wall carpet

Old 04-23-2011, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by JulieR
I would go with an office chair mat, or a bamboo or other wood mat under your table. Works a treat for me when I choose to sew in the living room!
The office chair mats are a blessing on carpet. Without them I can barely move my chairs and they are on rollers. It's a shame to remove what seems to be good carpet, but we have to do what we have to do. Marge L.
Old 04-23-2011, 04:19 PM

the largest size office chair mat works well in my carpeted bedroom/sewing room. and sure, just be careful with pins!!If you think you dropped one??? look for it immediately.....I have a very good magnet that works very well in finding a dropped pin or needle..
Old 04-23-2011, 05:22 PM

Get yourself a good magnet with a long handle :-D
Old 04-23-2011, 06:04 PM

If you get the house, buy a good sized magnatic, just go over carpet with it and it will get all the pins or needles. That is what I do and no problems yet.
Wolflady
Old 04-23-2011, 06:09 PM

Here's an idea you might want to try for awhile. I live in a rental home and don't have the option of removing the carpet. I went to Lowe's , or any home store, and bought a roll of clear plastic that sticks to the carpet. It was in the paint dept. I just laid it down where I do my sewing. Also did that in a spot where my little Chihuahua wanted to potty, and that deterred that bad habit. Don't know how long you could leave it down, but mine was down for almost a year, and I pulled it up without any problems.
Old 04-23-2011, 06:10 PM

I just ordered a long handled magnet with a grabber in the middle of it so if I drop anything like my seam ripper, I can pick it up. I have trouble with the muscle under my ribs cramping if I twist in my chair to bend and pick things up, so this should help a lot.
Old 04-23-2011, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by jeaninmaine
We just put a bid in on a house and I think that I'm going to end up having Wall to Wall carpet in the room I want to use for a sewing room. How do I cover it with something that won't hide pins, needles, threads etc.
I have carpet and have a office mat under my chair and use a heavy duty magnet on a long stick when I know I have dropped a pin I just wave it over the floor and the pins just jump on
Old 04-23-2011, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by JulieR
I would go with an office chair mat, or a bamboo or other wood mat under your table. Works a treat for me when I choose to sew in the living room!
I agree, they make some quite large office chair mats that are both thick and either coloured or clear. Would work well for this purpose.
Old 04-23-2011, 07:37 PM

Candace is so right! Go with hardwood flooring, not only is it easier to clean, but it's beautiful!!
Old 04-23-2011, 07:58 PM

I have carpet in my sewing room. Not a problem. I tend to get cold while sitting and sewing. The carpet seems to keep the room warmer. Also, I've never stepped on a hairball, But my son's pet frog got out and I stepped on it with my bare foot and yep it was a real wake up call, Ick. Eploge, frog was fine, I was near heart failure!