Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Singer Sewing Machines >

Singer Sewing Machines

Singer Sewing Machines

Old 05-03-2011, 04:43 PM
Dee

I have new machines and my grandma's 1907 Singer treadle still keeps peadling. Sturdy and reliable. Always ready to hum away.
Old 05-03-2011, 04:59 PM

I use my redeye to piece and to sew just about anything. I only use treadles. Best machines ever. Glenn
Old 05-03-2011, 06:21 PM

A man who sells Singers and repairs other machines asked me that just today. He said the old ones are wonderful machines and can always be repaired; they will last forever.
But he also said the newer machines are many times more versatile and if you buy the right one, they are just as portable.

I would like to have a Featherweight, not because it is any better than my Janome 4800, but because so many other people have one. I think that is called "herd mentality." I am certain that I will succumb to it when and if I can find a Featherweight I can afford! froggyintexas
Old 05-03-2011, 06:34 PM
Power Poster

I sew on my Singer 66 and am totally IN LOVE. Wouldn't give it up for anything. I have loads of machines but always want to sew on that treadle... So smooth and beautiful stitches. I'm in awe of it.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Debbie B
Thanks for the tip. I've already looked up the 31-15 since reading your post. I have not been sewing or quilting long...about 1 1/2 years. I've never sewn or even seen someone sewing with a treadle. I've always wondered how it works. Do you have to keep peddling that treadle or do your feet take breaks? Silly question, I know, but I've always wondered.

Originally Posted by Happy Treadler
Originally Posted by Debbie B
I have a newer computerized Brother machine and I use it for piecing. I bought it for the drop feed for FMQ. But, the work space is only 5". So I bought a 1953 Singer 15-125 off Craigslist, because it had a screw that would drop the dog feed and had 7" of work space. 2" may not sound like a lot, but it is to me. I was so surprised at the power of the old Singer that at first I was scared of it...ha. Now it's the only machine that I use for FMQ. I would love to get a mid arm set up or (in my dreams) a long arm, but I will probably always keep this old Singer.
Get this one. Last year I got a Singer 31-15 treadle for FMQ, and the throat space is almost 10.5"!!! It's an .. Mine is totally AWESOME for my FMQ, and I'll never need to contemplate the long arm. They just don't make them like that anymore.
The first machine I ever sewed a stitch on was my grandmother's treadle Singer, she had another newer model but I had to use the old one. It took a while for me to learn the rhythm of the machine. Once it gets going you just need to keep it going. I wish I were the one who got to keep it. All of her kids just wanted her things for the money. Kinda sad
Old 05-03-2011, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by FWDesigns
Right now, I have 2 computerized machines (Brother 8500 and a Pfaff 7530) but I really want an "older Singer all metal" machine for some of the nice straight stitches that I am seeing that they produce. I don't need all the bells and whistles for simple piecing. But I'm just not sure what models to really look at now. Would like to stay under $250 and I do know that I want an electric one that I can haul (aka lug) to my LQS & classes. Any suggestions?
Get a featherweight if you can; they are the lightest and most portable. Otherwise, a 99 or 15 are good, affordable alternatives. They just weigh twice as much. (You'll want a cart.)
Old 05-04-2011, 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by FWDesigns
Right now, I have 2 computerized machines (Brother 8500 and a Pfaff 7530) but I really want an "older Singer all metal" machine for some of the nice straight stitches that I am seeing that they produce. I don't need all the bells and whistles for simple piecing. But I'm just not sure what models to really look at now. Would like to stay under $250 and I do know that I want an electric one that I can haul (aka lug) to my LQS & classes. Any suggestions?
I just got a 301 and am really in love with it! It's just a little heavier than a featherweight but it has a carrying handle and the feeddogs will drop for FMQ.
Old 05-04-2011, 04:42 AM

shh dont't tell every body why we like those "old" machines. just because they are really pretty, they are tough, they sew a perfectly straight line, the featherweight weighs 11 lbs. i am not gnna tell you any more!!!!!!!
Old 05-04-2011, 05:51 AM

I love my treadle and it sews beautifully. Also looking for a Featherweight when I can save to get one. I also like antiques which fits into my decor. You need to try one!
Old 05-04-2011, 08:45 AM

They are a quality machine, built when things were still built to last and they sew a fantastic straight stitch!!!!

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: