Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
recession= different methods of getting the fabric fix >

recession= different methods of getting the fabric fix

recession= different methods of getting the fabric fix

Old 06-05-2011, 03:03 AM

We do not have a lot of quilt stores where I live. But we are always being told to support what we have or we will lose them. But the prices are so high, that I shop there very little. We do have a store which sells fabric and craft supplies, initially years ago, it was just fabrics but the card making and scrap book making have taken over, so the fabric section is diminishing, and the price going up constantly. They sell a lot of the fabric by weight, which is what I always go for,but only a small section of it is quilting fabric. Saying that I went a couple of weeks ago got some really good fabrics, most of it Moda, I bought app 20 yds in total which worked out about £2.00 per yard. I buy a lot for backing from there. The only thing is that when I do go, I seem to spend too much.
Old 06-05-2011, 03:11 AM

Originally Posted by annesthreads
It does sometimes strike me as ironic that quilting has evolved into a hobby that can draw you into spending a lot of money on fabric annd equipment, and it can even begin to feel ESSENTIAL to spend all that money in order to do it properly, when its roots are in times when everything had to be treasured and used because people had so little. I've called a halt on stash building and am beginning to think of other ways of finding fabric and other supplies. Do I really need a 2000 dollar machine for quilting, or might an old Singer do the job? Do I need cupboards full of fabric that I'm not using, or might I buy one project at a time and try some of the great ideas on this thread? We're in times when many of us need to step back and question our spending, find more frugal ways of living - and maybe that's not such a bad thing. Look at the creativity that came out of earlier hard times in the form of wonderful vintage quilts!
Well said!
Old 06-05-2011, 03:41 AM

I think the yard sale and thift store idea is great. However, I can't seem to find any fabric at these places in my area.
Old 06-05-2011, 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by Ladyjanedoe
It does sometimes strike me as ironic that quilting has evolved into a hobby that can draw you into spending a lot of money on fabric annd equipment, and it can even begin to feel ESSENTIAL to spend all that money in order to do it properly, when its roots are in times when everything had to be treasured and used because people had so little. I've called a halt on stash building and am beginning to think of other ways of finding fabric and other supplies. Do I really need a 2000 dollar machine for quilting, or might an old Singer do the job? Do I need cupboards full of fabric that I'm not using, or might I buy one project at a time and try some of the great ideas on this thread? We're in times when many of us need to step back and question our spending, find more frugal ways of living - and maybe that's not such a bad thing. Look at the creativity that came out of earlier hard times in the form of wonderful vintage quilts!
Well said!
I whole heartly agree. I have always said that you do not have to have the most expensive machine to sew with.
Old 06-05-2011, 04:09 AM

[quote=Ladyjanedoe]
It does sometimes strike me as ironic that quilting has evolved into a hobby that can draw you into spending a lot of money on fabric annd equipment, and it can even begin to feel ESSENTIAL to spend all that money in order to do it properly, when its roots are in times when everything had to be treasured and used because people had so little. I've called a halt on stash building and am beginning to think of other ways of finding fabric and other supplies. Do I really need a 2000 dollar machine for quilting, or might an old Singer do the job? Look at the creativity that came out of earlier hard times in the form of wonderful vintage quilts!

I whole heartly agree. I have always said that you do not have to have the most expensive machine to sew with.
It's dawned on me slowly! I've spent months looking at machines for free motion quilting, longing for one that will do the job better than my present one, but terrified of spending what for me is a very significant amount of money and maybe finding that it didn't live up to its promises. So, having already bought a Featherweight which is absolute bliss for piecing, I'm now thinking about a larger Singer to deal with the quilting. There don't seem to be as many available here in the UK as in the States, but I'm on the hunt! It would be SO satisfying if I could solve the FMQ problem without spending all that money.
Old 06-05-2011, 04:46 AM

Back when I started quilting money was very tight; we used blankets for batting and cut up well-used sheets for tops and bottoms. I know that isn't everyone's cup of tea but, when you gotta sew, your gotta sew and anything is fair game! I am such an addict! LOL!
Old 06-05-2011, 06:57 AM

Some clothing sold for CHEEEEP at yard sales make great quilting fabric. Also, around here, thrift stores will sometimes have "stuff a bag for a 1$" sales - try it out.
Old 06-05-2011, 07:09 AM
Banned

Guess its time we got over the idea that only quilt shop fabric is to be used in quilts; that fabric that is somewhat less than perfect quality is ok to use; that the big box store fabric is ok to use; that yard sales and thrift store fabric is ok to use and older cothing makes good quits, What do you think the grandmothers used and I'm still using some on my bed In a lot of cases we are NOT making heirloom quilts and the one getting the quilt won't know the difference.......and YES poly/cotton or rayon/cotton is ok to use. We used such back in the 70's and the quilts are still good.
Old 06-05-2011, 07:30 AM

[quote=annesthreads]
Originally Posted by Ladyjanedoe
It does sometimes strike me as ironic that quilting has evolved into a hobby that can draw you into spending a lot of money on fabric annd equipment, and it can even begin to feel ESSENTIAL to spend all that money in order to do it properly, when its roots are in times when everything had to be treasured and used because people had so little. I've called a halt on stash building and am beginning to think of other ways of finding fabric and other supplies. Do I really need a 2000 dollar machine for quilting, or might an old Singer do the job? Look at the creativity that came out of earlier hard times in the form of wonderful vintage quilts!

It's dawned on me slowly! I've spent months looking at machines for free motion quilting, longing for one that will do the job better than my present one, but terrified of spending what for me is a very significant amount of money and maybe finding that it didn't live up to its promises. So, having already bought a Featherweight which is absolute bliss for piecing, I'm now thinking about a larger Singer to deal with the quilting. There don't seem to be as many available here in the UK as in the States, but I'm on the hunt! It would be SO satisfying if I could solve the FMQ problem without spending all that money.
I have a Brother sewing machine, it is not computerised and has very few stitches on it, and it cost me about £250. I do all my sewing on it, and it does everything I need. I mostly hand quilt, except when I am doing childrens quilts, which I do very plain machine quilting.One of my group has a Bernina top of the range which she paid £3000 for, but I would never use any of the fancy stitches, although it does have such things as the needle down position which I think is good, but I manage well without it. I also have a very simple Singer which I can turn to, if neccesary.
Old 06-05-2011, 08:21 AM
Power Poster

I lost my job last Summer too, and have only found a minumum wage part time job, so far. Although I love our LQSs, I dont get much of a chance to go there anymore. Love garage sales!