Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
imperfect quilt >

imperfect quilt

imperfect quilt

Old 06-25-2011, 09:52 AM

I just found a quote on mistakes that I personally love

"It's not a mistake. It's an unconscious decision to change the pattern!"

I think it's something that we all should keep in mind when quilting, especially us perfectionists!!
Old 06-25-2011, 09:55 AM

I have plenty of "humility" patches but none of them are planned. I think putting a deliberate humility block in a quilt shows a lack of humility.
Old 06-25-2011, 10:19 AM

Its weird, but when I use scraps for an off the cuff small design of my own I am satisfied with imperfections. In fact, I like the irregular, hominess. But with a planned quilt I will make corrections if notice in time. I made a small bedside table quilt this am just for the fun of it and because I used the trims from the quilt I am working on I delight looking at it. It makes me happy to create something out of "nothing-throw aways" and something from my own thoughts to form a united piece.
Old 06-25-2011, 10:57 AM
Banned

Haha! Yes, and sometimes an imperfect quilt can be just the perfect thing. My daughter had paper-pieced a bunch of fish, and had been very careful to get the water print going all in the same direction. All but ONE fish! So she turned it in the quilt so the print was the same, and called it "Something's Fishy". Adorable!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-216531.jpe  
Old 06-25-2011, 11:14 AM

that's so cute! it's funny how we change the names of quilts to justify our mistakes sometimes!
Old 06-25-2011, 11:26 AM

Several years ago, a guest on Simply Quilts said she always makes a insignificant flaw in her quilts (like you describe). It was her own private joke and often she would ask the recipient (months later) if they found any flaw. Rarely was the answer "yes" and they would have a good laugh and, according to her, the quilt became even more special to the recipient.
Works for me...., as long as it doesn't detract from the design of the quilt
Old 06-25-2011, 11:33 AM
Swap Hosts

I am an imperfect quilter and I like it that way. Sometimes I do plan to make something that is a little off kilter, but I find that it eventually happens on it's own anyway! Gives it personality, I think.
Old 06-25-2011, 12:19 PM

I don't think any quilt could be imperfect.... Quilts are an expression love :D
Old 06-25-2011, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by sarahrachel
I would like to know if anyone has deliberately made a quilt imperfect, turned a block the wrong way, made one block not "match" in color.

I'm just wondering because I'm hand piecing a quilt and since I'm not the best at it, the stitches don't look perfect from the top, but I like it since it's a country style quilt and it looks more rustic that way.
As long as you are happy with it... it does not matter now does it.

I'm the type that would intentionally do something like that just so I don't have to conform to anyone else's way of thinking.

:evil:
Old 06-25-2011, 12:43 PM

Yes I do. I made a quilt with schooner blocks and I deliberately put one going in the opposite direction. When I showed my DD the quilt with the one block going the wrong way she Said "only you would do something like this mom". She is right because it would irritate some.