Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
dear Jane >

dear Jane

dear Jane

Old 07-18-2011, 07:47 AM
MTS
Banned

Originally Posted by BettyGee
Many thanks, just ordered it. Should keep me busy for the next one hundred and fifty years.
Aren't you ambitious!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I'm thinking I'll be done sometime in the next millennium. :roll:
Old 07-18-2011, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by MTS
Originally Posted by BettyGee
Many thanks, just ordered it. Should keep me busy for the next one hundred and fifty years.
Aren't you ambitious!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I'm thinking I'll be done sometime in the next millennium. :roll:
I think you are probably closer to the time element than I. Have always wanted to do one of these quilts and I figure if I work in one block a month I might be able to pass it on to my son when I'm older and grayer than I am now
Old 07-18-2011, 01:07 PM

it is a great project to use up tiny scraps. I went to a group that was working on it, and did quite a few, then got off to something else, but it was fun and interesting. I will do more in the future. I have the book and templates, but not software. Good for developing applique skills, and there is a blog somewhere that tells you how to do the blocks, tips and easier ways. Try looking at thatquilt.blogspot.com Great information and pictures.
Old 07-18-2011, 05:20 PM

I have been making a Dear Jane for several years now. I bought the book and the Dear Jane compuer program and am not sorry I did. These blocks are really fun. Some are easy, some are challenging. One day, I will finish the quilt and make it my "heirloom" quilt to be passed down. If you like to make the ultimate sampler quilt, go ahead and invest.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:20 AM

I am in the process of making a Dear Jane quilt. I joined a group that made 5 blocks a month for 4 years. I think it may be the only way to go. Get a group together, that way it inspires you and makes you do the homework. I only have 22 more blocks to make. Can't wait until its done. I have increased my blocks to 6" because at the normal 4 1/2" blocks, it would be too small for my bed. You must have the program to get the templates and paper piecing directions. Most blocks are paper pieced and applique. The book is horrible, the patterns have errors, and sometimes the photos and the directions are different blocks. Good luck.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:33 AM

Oh my gosh - way to much work and time for me. Actually I doubt I'd have the patience to get it done. LOL. I commend any of you who do it tho!
Old 07-19-2011, 10:27 AM
Banned

I'm always impressed by the people who take on such a huge endeavor. I don't have it in me to do it, I don't think. Maybe someday :)
Old 07-19-2011, 01:55 PM

I'll be glad when I get it back out and finish as well. Maybe 20 more blocks to go. Not doing the triangles in the border, just the 4-1/2" blocks. Also can't decide on the setting for it. Maybe I should post and ask you what you think would be best - sashings or not!
Old 07-24-2011, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by DottyD
Originally Posted by rosiewell
Has anyone done a "dear Jane" quilt? I have seen some quilts and it looks like a lot of work, I do love applique but notoriously I start quilts and never finish them, so I am hesitant to spend $$ for the pattern book (to date I have 38 UFOs!! LOL)
I have just got home from a little Dear Jane group that we have about once a month. We call ourselves Natterjanes. There is no teaching as such, but we all help one another and spur ourselves on. I have been doing my Christmas Baby Jane since 2007, and I have learnt so many techniques !!
www.thatquilt.blogspot.com is a brilliant site and will help enourmously. You can see my design wall by clicking on the link below. I have done 100 blocks and my VERY slow journey is progressing !!
There are so many ladies on here who will encourage you on your journey !!
DottyD.
Can you imagine the journery she was on when she made the quilt? It would be interesting if letters were found about it.
Old 07-24-2011, 08:06 AM

I've always thought it would be such a treat to be able to go back and sit with women quilting. Like during the Civil War, what did they talk about? How did they keep their families together through all the tragedy of losing sons and husbands? Or in Lancaster County in the 1800s. quilting by candlelight. If the quilts could talk, oh what stories could be told. Where did the fabric come from? I must get to work on my time machine, right after I finish my UFOs.