NOW What Do I Do??? *sob*

Old 07-21-2011, 09:09 AM

check the local community colleges or technical schools. here in Colorado, the CC nearest to me has continuing education classes-not much$$ and really good teachers.
Or, maybe the LQS can put you in touch w/ other groups in your area-
Old 07-21-2011, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by DonnaFreak
Howdy y'all,

Almost a year ago, a lady at work started a quilting group. She is one of my favorite people at work, so I joined it just to support her. But I was honest.....I told everyone on our first night that the closest I came to sewing was a cross stitch. I get cross every time I look a needle in the eye! LOL! So here I am, almost a year later with several quilts, a dress for my grandaughter, a few pincushions, and a mug bucket under my belt, and still itching to learn more and become better at quilting!

There are all sorts of changes and splits going on at work, and as a result, there are some lay-offs taking place. Yesterday afternoon the lady who started our quilting group was informed that next Friday was going to be her last day. Other than her, there were only 4 of us who were still coming faithfully to the group, and 2 of them were friends of her from outside of work. So it looks like our little group is going to now fall apart! :'c(

So what do I do now? I'm on a low income, and can't afford to go to the classes held at the LQS's in the area. I want to keep learning and have no way to do it now. And I have SOOOOOO much fabric, even though my stash is evidently tiny compared to most of you. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do now? I'm really upset about this! *sob*
Why do you have to quit the group? You are all friends by now and encourage and support each other. Why quit?
Old 07-21-2011, 11:53 AM

Ths Quilting Board is a good place to start. So many tutorials on anything you could possibly need.
Old 07-21-2011, 01:25 PM

If you enjoy the group stay with it unless there would be too much tension. Since the other two are not from work, friends of hers, why can you not continue your friendship with her.
Old 07-21-2011, 01:32 PM

If you can watch and record sewing shows on TV that way you can always go back and review. Thats what I do and it really helps.
Old 07-21-2011, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by clsurz
There are all sorts of changes and splits going on at work, and as a result, there are some lay-offs taking place. Yesterday afternoon the lady who started our quilting group was informed that next Friday was going to be her last day. Other than her, there were only 4 of us who were still coming faithfully to the group, and 2 of them were friends of her from outside of work. So it looks like our little group is going to now fall apart! :'c(
I'm not understanding why the quilt group must stop just because some folks are getting laid off especially since a couple of the members were from outside your work place.

Why should that stop y'all from still going on with the quilt group?
The problem is that the lady who is basically our mentor/teacher is the one who got laid off. There were only 2 of us besides her from here at work who were going regularly, and neither one of us even sewed at all prior to the group starting a year ago. The other 2 ladies who were coming were friends of the lady who got laid off, and they more than likely won't come if she isn't a part of it. That leaves just 2 of us struggling to keep going, when both of us are about as inexperienced as they come. The group was originally started as a part of the Employee Wellness Program as a stress-reducer method.

So move the group from work, to the local library, or another area? Her being gone from work does not mean you can't get together.
Old 07-21-2011, 01:51 PM

I started out with nobody else, but the internet.
Old 07-21-2011, 02:42 PM

Even if that group does break up, spread the word that you would like to start a guild. Put up signs at places that sell fabric, if you've got an old fashioned radio station that makes quirky PSAs for free, get one made, put up signs at the library, talk it up at church--contact the Baptist's WMU and the Methodist UMW and the groups at the other churches. You will almost certainly find some people who will want to quilt. froggyintexas
Old 07-21-2011, 02:47 PM

Find out if there is a quilt guild near you that you can join. I belong to a quild and the more senior quilters are great teachers.
Old 07-21-2011, 03:26 PM

Can't you all still get together outside of work? Believe me, you can learn all you want from here!