Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Design Wall >

Design Wall

Design Wall

Old 07-28-2011, 02:37 PM

On November 10, 2010 Blondie3265 posted this:

I found this site for a design wall that i was looking for. I thought i would share it with you. I'm working on my youngest son to make me one. He's really good at wood projects. http://www.vanishingdesignwall.com
Old 07-28-2011, 04:08 PM

i used a window shade and covered it with fleece and hung it over my sliding closet doors and it is the width of my closet. i can pull it up and down as i need it. it works great for me and sure saves on space of storing it and is readily available when i need it.
Old 07-28-2011, 05:18 PM

My sewing room has a large( 2 windows together) that my DH used a rollup blind (the kind with little slats)It hangs from the top of the window under the valance. He stapled flannel to the whole width &length of it. Works great & when rolled up you don't see it. Only problem is it always has something on it I miss the sunlight from the window.
Old 07-28-2011, 05:25 PM

I bought a 60" (wish it was 72") vinyl window blind with the mounting hardware. I glued flannel to the whole blind unrolled. Then I rewound it. My husband put it up about 7' from the floor and put a hook at the bottom to hold it down when I am using it. When I am not using; it rolls back up and out of the way. I love it. If I am making something really large, I can have my DH help to reach higher. Hope this info helps you!
Old 07-28-2011, 05:44 PM

I use a 52X70 flannel backed table cloth. I put it up with push pins. It works quite well. Only hint: buy an inexpensive one that is light in color as the design on the plastic side will show through if it is dark in color. The flannel backing is what makes your blocks stay in place while you do your design. That is also why a white sheet won't do the trick as neatly.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:11 PM

I tried having mine over the closet door and it didn't work well for me. I like it to be flush against a wall.

Were you planning on using flannel? You need to try whatever you use to make sure you quilt blocks will stick to it

Rolling it up is an awesome idea.
Old 07-29-2011, 03:48 AM

My handyman took two 4 x 8 sheets of insulation board (about 1 inch thick styrofoam) - covered with yardage batting - bolted them to the wall and put a 2 inch frame around all - A DREAM COME TRUE! ! ! If the wall were bigger - I'd have added another 4 x 8 sheet. I can just stick blocks up or I can pin right into all of it.
Old 07-29-2011, 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by cjsparks
On November 10, 2010 Blondie3265 posted this:

I found this site for a design wall that i was looking for. I thought i would share it with you. I'm working on my youngest son to make me one. He's really good at wood projects. http://www.vanishingdesignwall.com
This is a great idea! On the line with what my husband had in mind for my design wall. The shelf may be a good place to keep my quilting books. Thanks for adding this to the QB. One more addition to my husband's to do list.
Old 07-29-2011, 04:01 AM

Thank you to everyone that has help with suggestions for my design wall. You have been great! I have reseached and my husbands idea of the shade is going up. I am going to add flannel to the shade.
Old 07-29-2011, 04:39 AM

Love your idea... I need to upgrade..
Originally Posted by Steady Stiching
I love my design wall and it takes up no space at all.
I went to Joanns and bought flannel backed tablecloth fabric. Went to the hardware store and bought firring strips (long strip of wood 2 inches wide which I painted with some spray faux stone paint i had leftover. DH screwd the wood into the wall, the tablecloth fuzzy side out was behind the wood strip. Into the strip he then nailed some long nails that sticck out. This is where I keep my rulers and scissors, rotary cutters, patterns, hoops etc. So it works as a pegboard kind of too.