Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can it be done.... >

Can it be done....

Can it be done....

Old 08-09-2011, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by emsgranny
or even should it!!! I have a beautiful tablecloth that my mother embroidered for us when we got married almost 32 years ago. We have sold the china that went with it and we no longer use tablecloths. I also have a similar one given to me my my aunt as a shower gift done in verigated browns.

Do you think it can be made into a quilt top instead? Its not l00%cotton and I am not really sure what it is. I have tried to take a picture of fabric so you have an idea. Also including picture of parts of tablecloth.

I havbe 2 daughters so they would each have a quilt if it can be done (they would be more apt to use a quilt than a tablecloth)

Do you think I should try it or just keep it as is - It is very special to me but its not being used!!!! Help!!!!

I'm guessing linen. At any rate I'd never take a cutter to it. NEVER.

Start a new tradition----------the wedding table cloth every time your family gets together. Buy a light weight clear plastic to go over it.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by JulieR
I'm a flea marketer, so my first thought would be to pick up something similar and do a "test run" first, to make sure I liked the end result.

At the end of the day, it's YOURS to do with as you wish. If you would enjoy it more in a new form, then by all means do it!
good idea on the cheap test run.

But still...........
Old 08-09-2011, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by pal
I wonder if you could cut out the excess white, so that you have a border and a center - and applique the embroidery on blue - or applique blue over the plain white, just using the embroidered parts. I think that is called "shadow quilting". It would be a lot of work, but I think well worth it. It has probably been washed enough times so that it wouldn't shrink any more. It's beautiful!!
If you want another color in the white spaces, you'd be better off appliqueing the print over the cloth left as is.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by SewSydney
It looks like its linen to me and from the vintage it could be. Counted thread cross stitch on linen was very popular here around that time.

I think it will be a beautiful quilt top and its something that your daughters can look at and and know that their grandmother worked it and you constructed it!!

I'm going to look through my linen press now, I have some tablecloths worked by my grandmother and there could be a world of possibilities for them. Thanks for the suggestion and good luck with your project.
me too. Ihave several table cloths hanging in the closet that I never use any more. too big for the table I have now. smile
Old 08-09-2011, 11:45 AM

I would use it as a whole quilt - if you try cuting it you destroy the cross stitch embroidery.

Just beautiful
Old 08-09-2011, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
Everyone has such nice ideas!! But the main thing she said was that she has TWO daughters, both of whom would like something from the past. I think the problem is that it must be cut apart to make two quilts, possibly with carefully matched colors to extend the original tablecloth. I'd like to see how that would be done. I think that making several pictures of it and cutting each of them apart and putting them into different patterns might show a way to make two quilts from this lovely piece of art.
actually she said she said she had a similar one given to her by an aunt. two table cloths.
Old 08-09-2011, 12:11 PM

One of my friends bought a quilt top that was cross stitch and started it yrs ago and she began to finish it several years ago. So why not yours, not that you couldn't have done it anyway, but just knowing that there were kits for cross stitch quilts might be a little confidence booster, if needed.
Old 08-09-2011, 12:41 PM

I would go with a whole cloth quilt. My SIL has done these and they are beautiful. She's waiting to be published in one of the quilting magazines.
Old 08-09-2011, 01:24 PM

Oh yea!! Would be gorgeous.
Old 08-09-2011, 01:47 PM

I think that's a wonderful idea. Make a whole cloth quilt and quilt mofits on it.