Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
I consider myself a quilter not a sewing fix-it-all! >

I consider myself a quilter not a sewing fix-it-all!

I consider myself a quilter not a sewing fix-it-all!

Old 08-12-2011, 05:54 AM

Tell her Leonardo (Da Vinci) didn't paint houses!
Old 08-12-2011, 05:54 AM

After reading all the responses, I understand why we turn to the QB....I don't mean to sound condescending, but I understand why we are so stand offish with people.....
Do they like us or our talent?????????
I too have had people treat me the same way....I dabble in all kinds of crafts....
I had a woman call me @ 8:30Pm and ask me to PAINT a slate piece 15x22 for a wedding that she was going to the NEXT DAY!!!!! She said she would be by to pick it up around 11:30AM !!!! OH!!! you know the people so I thought you would do it free!!!!![ but she wanted to give it to them in HER name......] I couldn't believe my ears!!!!
I said there is NO WAY to paint something that fast!!!
She argued with me and well, I've not heard from her since...... I don't do crafts anymore....just quilting now... And Yes, I'm always busy to do anything for anyone else,FREE
It may sound cold but you wouldn't get anything else done if you didin't.......Why should I do it for free when XXX down the road gets paid for it!!!!!??????!!!!!! It isn't greed, it's a matter of Respect for OUR CRAFT whatever it may be..........
Old 08-12-2011, 06:10 AM

Just say NO THANK YOU, if you decide to still do them CHARGE her a good price, or give her a pack of needles and spool of thread. As soon as people know that you can sew, it seems you become the go-to person for mending. I say I'll show you how to do it because there is not enough time for my hobby and mending.
Old 08-12-2011, 06:11 AM

My first job in HS was doing alterations at a local dept store. So yeah, I can hem pants, skirts, wedding dresses, replace jean zippers, shorten suit sleeves, etc. I worked there for 4 years. My sister always wants me to hem this or that. I got sick of it and started telling her $5 per pant leg hemmed. After about two years she finally got the hint and has found someone else. The only ones that I will do things for without griping is for my mom and my MIL. I don't enjoy doing alterations, I just like to sew what I want when I want...
Old 08-12-2011, 06:20 AM

We were walking out to the car,here comes a car.Wanted me to take in side seams to a dress.Why couldn't we have left 5 minutes earlier.I did tell her i don't do that kind of sewing.
Old 08-12-2011, 06:49 AM

Buy her a needle and thread or a little sewing kit as a gift and teach her to DIY.
Old 08-12-2011, 07:25 AM

My grandaughter was bringing me things to repair and even brought me jeans of her boyfriend. I told her it might be awhile before I got to them, as I only mend when in the right mood. Well she had broken up with boyfriend before I got his done. I was so glad I had waited.
Old 08-12-2011, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by grandma nurse
My grandaughter was bringing me things to repair and even brought me jeans of her boyfriend. I told her it might be awhile before I got to them, as I only mend when in the right mood. Well she had broken up with boyfriend before I got his done. I was so glad I had waited.
I would thrift a good sewing book and a small sewing kit and return it with the blanket saying "I am just overwhelmed right now with a big project. I just could not get to this for several months and I know you would not want to wait. Here is a book and a kit so you can do your self or you can go to the local person who mends for a living."
When I was working people would come to me all the time for mending, mostly replacing the zipper in their jeans. I got a bunch of business cards from a local seamstress who made a living with mending. When I got requests I would politely decline and give them one of her cards. Yes, non sewers think we would just love to do their repairs for free....the clue was they would approach me with " I know you love to sew......". I do love to sew but I don't care to mend for anyone outside my family....Even I will repair a popped hem or seam with fusible web.
Old 08-12-2011, 08:49 AM

You are looking at the the wrong way. We were put on this earth to help one another. You have this wonderful sewing skill. Others have none. I would be glad and happy if someone ask me for help fixing these things. I call it charity. Doing good for another.

IdahoSandy
Old 08-12-2011, 09:28 AM

Oh Boy, I worked in a doctors office with 40 other girls I know how you feel, I got to where I did,nt want to make my self something new "cause everybody else wanted one. I was miss fix-it too.