Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Not expecting flowers, but, warning to all >

Not expecting flowers, but, warning to all

Not expecting flowers, but, warning to all

Old 08-26-2011, 03:23 PM

It is a sad world when we even have to suspect delivery people or rather people pretending to be delivery people , meter readers and ect
Old 08-26-2011, 04:13 PM

No one's sending me flowers.........grrr.
Old 08-26-2011, 04:39 PM
SMR

Recently told my family that if I don't know someone is coming to see me I don't answer door unless there are red and blue flashing lights. I live alone and don't feel like taking chances, if its someone that really wants or needs to see me they can call first.
Old 08-26-2011, 05:01 PM

I peak through the hole in my front door. If I don't know them, then I don't open the door.
In my area about a year ago, there was a man shot a woman when she opened her front door. Come to find out, he was a hired killer and shot the wrong woman, because he was on the wrong street.
Old 08-26-2011, 05:21 PM

I guess that getting older, and taking a while to get to the door, not to mention trying to convince 4 dogs to shut up and let you go first, lol, has it's advantages. We have a beautiful stained glass panel in our front door, so no peep hole, but should that bell ring late at night, I would look out the nice big window first, then ask who.

We don't live "in town", but do have neighbors, none of which ever seem to ring my bell. But they all know that I am armed and not afraid to use that gun. There were some incidents of home invasions happening in the past few years, and you would think people would not just open their doors so readily. Here in Florida, that old "drag them across the doorstep" idea is gone. Anyone attacks you at your front door, you have the perfect right to shoot them where they stand, and leave them there for the sheriff to pick up. Finally.

Personally, I enjoy being slow enough that most people give up and go away, lol.
Old 08-26-2011, 05:49 PM

I DO answer my door...with my handgun in my left hand and the screen door securely latched. (Yes, I have a concealed weapons permit.) And my family knows that, if they just call before coming over, they won't run into something they aren't expecting. And I don't answer the door after dark regardless...
having three dogs helps, too...and when I sleep at night, the handgun is very close by...better to be safe than sorry...:)
Old 08-26-2011, 08:35 PM
Power Poster

Wow. Thanks for the warning.
Power Poster

Power Poster

Old 08-26-2011, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by ann31039
Originally Posted by SparkMonkey
Ugh. :thumbdown: People can be awful.

I hate the fact that there's no peephole on our front door. There's a large window next to the door, but there's no way to be discreet when I'm trying to see who's there.

At least with flowers, the only person who would bring me flowers is my fiance and he can bring them in himself. ;)
Peepholes are extremely easy to install and are less than 20$ at the home stores.
True, but be careful of the quality. I have one in my door, but it's only good to confirm a person is there, not who it is as it's not that clear and view is VERY tiny. I believe there are magnifying ones, which I really should look into getting. But if I'm not expecting someone I don't answer the door anyway.