Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Pink, orange, yellow, purple and tan? >
  • Pink, orange, yellow, purple and tan?

• Pink, orange, yellow, purple and tan?

Old 09-21-2011, 06:51 AM
    Power Poster

Thank you - everyone - for your responses. One of the things I've learned from this is that there must be a huge difference in the way colors show up on monitors, because to some people the questionable "plum" fabric looked very blue, and to others pinkish. To my eye it has more red tone than blue. I tried to get some more pictures of it and realized that in my camera's viewfinder that fabric looked very, very blue. When transferred to the computer it had more red tones and had become a definite purple, but still not the color it is in real life, under natural light. I never could get it to show up on my monitor as it actually appears.

And yes, the reason I was asking is that I was beginning to regret my fabric choices, particularly the plum, and had been thinking that I really could have used a green somewhere. Great minds must think alike; I just wish mine thought a little quicker. ;-)

I have almost finished the top using these fabrics, and the plum/purple is definitely the zinger. I'm still not sure whether I like it, but done will be done. I'll post pictures when the top and/or the quilting is done, but again I doubt that the colors will be true. I even tried taking the pictures with a different camera, and that came out slightly better. I think you will all have to come to my guild's quilt show (assuming I finish this in time) to decide for yourself whether the plum looks okay in real life. I know I will be standing around listening for comments!
    Old 09-21-2011, 07:05 AM

I see nothing wrong with any of these colors. Perfect, so go for it.
    Old 09-21-2011, 07:06 AM

I'd pull the berry color. Other than that the rest of the colors co-ordinate very well.
    Old 09-21-2011, 07:11 AM
    Power Poster

I would call the plummish one the zinger. LOL I'd say go for it. Maybe add some dark blue?

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
    They are perfect! Except for the plumish one- not sure what you would call it.
    Great fabs!!!!!! :D
    What are you making?
    It reminds me a little of this quilt I made except this has green and blue too.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]260129[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-260076.jpe  
    Old 09-21-2011, 07:14 AM

I am in agreement that I would pull the plum as well.
    Old 09-21-2011, 07:16 AM

I agree all work except the pink with circles.
    J J
    Old 09-21-2011, 07:21 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by judi wess
    I love this collection. Even though the plum might be considered questionable, it would be that color that makes the color combo sing. I've noticed that most pieces need a "wild card" to make them great. Just my opinion.
    Yup! :thumbup:
    Old 09-21-2011, 07:24 AM

At first glance I thought the pink one should be left out. But then I thought, it might be nice as an accent to help the quilt have some "pop!" So it depends on the pattern you plan to use. It would be nice if used in small pieces.
    Old 09-21-2011, 07:33 AM

I really like them all together. It all depends on our monitors and the camera as to the shades so you always will see it differently than we do out here. I think I read a quote from Bonnie Hunter saying it all depends on what size it is too, small or larger.
    I like your work that I have seen here so I will wait to see how it turns out! I always have second thoughts as I go, but magic happens when the top is closer to finished than just part way. It will be beautiful !!
    Old 09-21-2011, 07:38 AM

all but the fuscia-plummy one. BTW if you don't end up using that beautiful yellow-peach floral I will be happy to claim it! Now I can't wait to see what you are going to make! :) :) :) :) :)
    are those colors not similar to chili? Dark red beans, golden cheese, wonderful light tomato reds and oranges melting into the browned beef....I must be ready for lunch.