Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Yorkies are like potato chips >

Yorkies are like potato chips

Yorkies are like potato chips

Old 10-24-2011, 08:05 AM

Hope you find duck-duck. I have a 'toy' box that all my Rat Terrier's toys go in. He will come to my chair and when I tell him to go get a toy, he will pick his favorite of the day. Now is I could just get him to put them up. LOL
Old 10-24-2011, 08:46 AM

Oh hugs and lots of gentle pats and strokes.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:49 AM

Your babies are precious!

This has been a very sad weekend for us. When I got home from work on Friday, Ashe (my miniature schnauzer) didn’t make a sound and seemed a bit disoriented. As the evening progressed he started making intermittent rattling and gurgling sounds and I knew he was dying. I laid on the floor in my sewing room with him as he had chosen to lie under my ironing board. At one point he felt a little wet and I figured his bladder had spontaneously emptied. He stood up a couple of times but I was able to get him to lie back down and after 3 a.m. he did not stir. His breathing was steady although he was still rattling every once in a while but he seemed to be sleeping somewhat peacefully.

When the vets office opened I scooped Ashe up, wrapped him in a towel and off we went. He was barely able to raise his head and was as limp as a dishrag. The vet listened to his lungs and felt a very enlarged kidney which, other than the one time of being a little wet he had not voided in nearly a day. The vet looked at us and said it was time to let him go. Charles (my DH) completely lost it, sobbing and his knees gave way and I barely got him into the chair. I told the vet how Ashe had always been there for DH through the loss of his mother, his job, the stroke, inpatient rehab and the vet kept saying, “I know” so apparently DH has told him more than once what Ashe meant to him. The vet gave us a chance to say goodbye. He said he starts with a muscle relaxer and that it might sting and I told him I didn’t think Ashe would even feel it, and he didn’t. DH said he couldn’t stay until the end so he stayed until the muscle relaxer took effect and then I stayed for the final injection as he peacefully slipped away.

Ashe had been ill for quite some time and actually about 2 years ago the vet said he had a 50-50 chance of making it 6 months so we got lots of borrowed time. But he had been losing a lot of weight (even though eating heartily) and I could count his little ribs. He was almost completely blind and kept getting an ulcer in one eye due to a complication of the diabetes. It was time to release him into the hands of the Lord.

Tramp our other dog (who was a rescue dog that got passed on to us when another friend lost their farm) stayed in my lap a long time on Saturday, I guess he was just offering comfort. He misses Ashe I think.

Then Sunday a friend's dog died very suddenly ... the put him outside to do his thing and he didn't come back in so they began to look for him and he was lying dead on the ground. I think that must be even harder than losing my Ashe because at least I knew it was coming.

Anyway, enough sadness ... I love yorkies and that is what I was actually looking for when we found Ashe and DH fell in love with this little tiny thing attacking his rope toy. It was love at first site with those two.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by luvstoquilt
Adorable! I just lost my 2 (16 yr old) little Silkie Terriers..very similar dogs. I miss them terribly. I don't think I will ever have another..losing them was to hard.
Aww, Im sorry to hear that... Our girl isn't in perfect health but has several years ahead of her Id say.

It must be hard to loose them both.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by Glenda m
Hope you find duck-duck. I have a 'toy' box that all my Rat Terrier's toys go in. He will come to my chair and when I tell him to go get a toy, he will pick his favorite of the day. Now is I could just get him to put them up. LOL
LOL I know what you mean!!! it's a mess keeping up with Butler's toy obssession! I cleaned out his toybox and found my yorkie slippers. So I know he steals all kinds of stuff. lol
Old 10-24-2011, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by IBQLTN

This has been a very sad weekend for us. When I got home from work on Friday, Ashe (my miniature schnauzer) didn’t make a sound and seemed a bit disoriented. As the evening progressed he started making intermittent rattling and gurgling sounds and I knew he was dying. I laid on the floor in my sewing room with him as he had chosen to lie under my ironing board. At one point he felt a little wet and I figured his bladder had spontaneously emptied. He stood up a couple of times but I was able to get him to lie back down and after 3 a.m. he did not stir. His breathing was steady although he was still rattling every once in a while but he seemed to be sleeping somewhat peacefully.

When the vets office opened I scooped Ashe up, wrapped him in a towel and off we went. He was barely able to raise his head and was as limp as a dishrag. The vet listened to his lungs and felt a very enlarged kidney which, other than the one time of being a little wet he had not voided in nearly a day. The vet looked at us and said it was time to let him go. Charles (my DH) completely lost it, sobbing and his knees gave way and I barely got him into the chair. I told the vet how Ashe had always been there for DH through the loss of his mother, his job, the stroke, inpatient rehab and the vet kept saying, “I know” so apparently DH has told him more than once what Ashe meant to him. The vet gave us a chance to say goodbye. He said he starts with a muscle relaxer and that it might sting and I told him I didn’t think Ashe would even feel it, and he didn’t. DH said he couldn’t stay until the end so he stayed until the muscle relaxer took effect and then I stayed for the final injection as he peacefully slipped away.

Ashe had been ill for quite some time and actually about 2 years ago the vet said he had a 50-50 chance of making it 6 months so we got lots of borrowed time. But he had been losing a lot of weight (even though eating heartily) and I could count his little ribs. He was almost completely blind and kept getting an ulcer in one eye due to a complication of the diabetes. It was time to release him into the hands of the Lord.

Tramp our other dog (who was a rescue dog that got passed on to us when another friend lost their farm) stayed in my lap a long time on Saturday, I guess he was just offering comfort. He misses Ashe I think.

Then Sunday a friend's dog died very suddenly ... the put him outside to do his thing and he didn't come back in so they began to look for him and he was lying dead on the ground. I think that must be even harder than losing my Ashe because at least I knew it was coming.

Anyway, enough sadness ... I love yorkies and that is what I was actually looking for when we found Ashe and DH fell in love with this little tiny thing attacking his rope toy. It was love at first site with those two.
*SNIFFLE* {hugs} Im so sorry for your losses...It's the proper thing to do is stay til the very end. I owed several cats that act of comfort, and a few dogs. They know we are there.
Bless your heart, I know if must be hard on all of you. They wont be forgotten and that's the important thing you can do now. But be happy, cause thats what our pets want for us no matter where they are.

I always made a special memorial, planted a rose bush or something whenever I'd lose a little one.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:36 AM

catzlaw

Thanks for the idea of planting something in his memory ... I like that!
Old 10-24-2011, 09:40 AM

Adorable!!
Old 10-24-2011, 09:44 AM

They look like my Wookie and Leah. Both now in doggy heaven. Wookie was 14 and Leah13. But Chihuahuas are just as addictive. I have 2 and am considering another.

Tinkerbelle is the black one. Willow is grey (but the vet calls that color a "rare blue").

Tinkerbelle and Willow
[ATTACH=CONFIG]276501[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-276448.jpe  
Old 10-24-2011, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by IBQLTN

That is so sad. :( I'm so sorry. We had to put our Teki down. I still miss him, it's been 12-13 years.