Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Who loves peacocks? >

Who loves peacocks?

Who loves peacocks?

Old 10-28-2011, 04:29 AM

Why couldn't you fussy cut around one or more of the peacocks and applique on black fabric and use the feather fabric as border or in companion blocks? Or use it as a whole cloth with the feather fabric as border? You could do some very nice quilting on them. I would hate to cut those peacocks up.
Old 10-28-2011, 04:36 AM

I found and order this fabric from fabric.com
Old 10-28-2011, 04:41 AM

I bought both of those plus a stripe print and plan to make a tote for my sister. I got them from Hancock's of Paducah during one of their "free shipping" events. They didn't all come at once and I'm still waiting on one more fabric in the line to use for lining.

http://www.hancocks-paducah.com/Item...Fabric--m-4865
Old 10-28-2011, 04:43 AM

I love peacocks! I think it would be pretty no matter what you do with it.
Old 10-28-2011, 04:50 AM

I am working part-time in a local quilt shop - we ordered this material....most of it has come in and now we're waiting on the material with the peacocks. When you can actually look at the real thing - you can see how really beautiful it is ....! Of course, I'll have to have my share of it and decide what I want to do with it later. I think it will get gone quickly - we have several people waiting on it.
Old 10-28-2011, 04:59 AM
Power Poster

It'd work perfect for a OBW. OBW's do not have to have a LOT of different colours. More important is the pattern change across the fabric to create the kaleido interest.

As for the solid black areas, you do not need wall to wall (or should I say selvage to selvage) of colour on the fabric. The solid spaces won't even show once the triangles are cut up and hexes assembled. It will help give a bit of a break from the busy-ness of some of the other blocks, and the more black ones will be stunning as bits of the turquoise and yellow pop in for what I bet will become an elegant kaleido.

All that being said ... I'm like several of the others, and chances are I would not cut up the fabric, and would use it as a backing for a front made of coordinating colours/fabrics!
Old 10-28-2011, 05:03 AM

Love the fabric , wonder how they would look in a one block wonder ,
Old 10-28-2011, 05:06 AM

Location: in front of this dang computer instead of my Bernina!(Naples, Florida)

omigosh, I would have to make something for my DD. We had a peacock adopt us a few years ago (we live in a very wooded area at the far north edge of the Everglades, so there are all kinds of critters wandering around out here (you have no idea). he lived in the oak tree outside her bedroom, and she was a big fan of his. We called him Big Blue. But BB had to relocate when he matured and started screaming int eh middle of the night. DH and i are too old to be awakened to that.

Just what I need, another project. Do you have this fabric in your shop?
Old 10-28-2011, 05:08 AM

OOOOOH I would fussy cut around them and build out from there. Beautiful.
Old 10-28-2011, 05:08 AM

Judy Sisneros published "9-Patch Pizazz" that has an approach for which this fabric would work quite well.

She mixes large blocks from (mostly Asian) large-format designs with 9-patch blocks. Something of a variation on blooming 9-patches.

Here are google image results:

http://www.google.com/search?q=9-pat...ls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=HqmqTt_EH-ry0gHdp_GSDw&ved=0CFUQsAQ&biw=1067&bih=540&sei=%20KKmqToGqI6P20gHQs52eDw