Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
entrance Fee's for GUILD shows! >

entrance Fee's for GUILD shows!

entrance Fee's for GUILD shows!

Old 01-15-2012, 08:09 AM

I don't think I've ever been to a quilt show where I've felt that admission was too high. Many times I spend more on gas to get to the show than it costs to get in! Last year the admission price to the American Sewing Expo was $16 - that was bit high, but it was fun and I still didn't feel ripped off. I don't think I've ever paid more than $5 for a "regular" show - the biggies of course have cost more, but they are definitely worth it. When you look at all the costs of quilting - after all, a lot of money goes into fabric, tools, machines, etc - I think the shows are a great bargain. I don't know what price point would keep me from attending - it'd have to be pretty rediculous.
Old 01-16-2012, 06:38 AM

Having headed up more than one quilt show, here are some facts. It's expensive in dollars and labor intensive. The cost of initially buying/renting the apparatus to hand quilts can be extremely expensive. Then you most often have to rent the space, hire a guard(s), print fliers, do PR in newspaper, etc. And don't forget liability insurance for both injuries and the quilts. That in itself is enough to make you cringe. Then there is the setup that takes a boatload of volunteers not only for quilts, but vendor tables, etc. Most shows/guilds fund some of the profits into scholarships or some other type of pay-it-back. I understand your monetary concerns about the entry fee, but few shows have an option of free facility and PR. Bottom line, it costs hard cold cash to put on a quilt show. And prices for everything are going up. I also hope that fees do not reach the $10 mark, but I don't object to $7 or $8 knowing what it costs for me to spend time with what I love to do.
SandyQuilter
Old 01-16-2012, 12:03 PM

Wow! after reading all these posts, I guess the $3 I paid for the last quilt show was a bargin! I have to admit that I would pay $5 because I really love going to all the vendors and I usually buy more stuff (like I need it) and it does support the guild. I like the idea of staying all day, but ours is usually so small that that wouldn't be too much fun. I did buy some great old quilting magazines when I was there, and so all in all, I think $5 is a good price but if the show is small, I think over $5 might be too much.
Old 01-16-2012, 12:22 PM

Our guild show is at least $5 per person for admission, it may be $8 this year I forget. I know what we pay for the facility, the racks for the quilts, insurance and the Hoffman challenge to come to the show. It really adds up and FAST. I know that we are hoping to be under $4000 for a 2 day show but it is going to be close. It's all the little things that you don't realize that all go into the show that cost a lot of money.
Old 01-16-2012, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by valleyquiltermo View Post
Is the guild paying rent for the building?
I'd guess the fees had to cover rentals, too. Very few venues can be used for free anymore. We're rural and the $-H center charges $250 (the last I heard) for one day. Can't thing of anyplace else big enough for a quilt show around here.
Old 01-16-2012, 12:58 PM
Banned

great responses everyone! I too have headed up MANY a show in many a places. From small town hall shows, to large expo shows. yes, they ALL have expenses. Some more than others for sure.
Around here most shows are small rural county fair building shows. Many pay NO rent for the building, have few vendors, NO programs, no paid judges, no ribbons, etc...SO having said that, why should I pay $8-$10 to go to a show like that when for only $7 I can see a very large show with tons of vendors, juried quilts, etc.
OH and the small show, did not advertise their entrance fee, I think that is where the sour taste in my mouth started for sure!
I also do not think quilt shows should be considered fund raisers! Maybe in some small town guilds, but not in the big ones. They should be considered community service as part of the 501-3 C most of them have that says X% of monies must be used for community service!
Our guild of over 100 members will never do another show. NOT as long as the queen bee lives. Too many chiefs and not enough people willing to be her doormat! Sad but true! She runs the guild that way too! LONG story, but sadly it has run the guild into the ground!
Old 01-16-2012, 01:02 PM

I went to one here that they charged $10 which I thought was a bit steep I think if they are getting the building for free then no more than $5 for admission. I find our Guild get's a bit pushy about stuff as well which has made me back off on joining.
Old 01-17-2012, 12:09 PM

why not just ask how the money gets used?
Old 01-17-2012, 03:09 PM
Power Poster

Profits made by guilds usually always go to pay for programs, community service, and any if any left over to pay for a Christmas party. No profit gets scaundered on fluff at any guild I know of.
Old 01-20-2012, 05:44 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
Quilts are piled flat on a bed and a knowledgeable person talks about each one. When done with the top one, she turns the top edge of that quilt to the foot of the bed, exposing the next one and talks about that one (top quilt to bottom quilt). When all have been turned, the program ends. Frequently, there is a second program and the person turns the quilts, one by one, back towards the head of the bed as she talks about them (bottom quilt to top quilt) to a new audience. It's an educational presentation with questions and answers as it goes along.
Very interesting... Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my question.