Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is your opinion on Walmart's fabric and dept? >

What is your opinion on Walmart's fabric and dept?

What is your opinion on Walmart's fabric and dept?

Old 01-16-2012, 05:50 AM

One of our stores have been in the process of bringing back the fabric - VERY limited, and the location in the store is terrible. The cutting table is about 6 feet long only, the dept is messy and nothing like they had before. I was happy they brought back the fabric, but ..."with the economy".....there is not someone there all the time, so we have to have them paged or go looking for another employee. There are no jelly rolls, maybe SOME fat quarter packages. It seems like they just stuck this department anywhere that was open with no consideration of what customers want......oh well, just another example of the changes we need to adjust to.
Old 01-16-2012, 05:56 AM

One of the new super Walmarts that had opened a couple of years ago without a fabric dept. has recently put in a fabric dept. It is very limited with some of the old Walmart fabrics I used to see in other WMs. There were some good quality fabrics that I recognized and there were a lot of non-quilting fabrics of poor quality. The service was great because I recognized the lady who used to serve me at one of the better WM fabric depts in the area. I'll have to need really badly to have to go back there for more fabric. I think I will stick to the newish LQS that opened after Hancock closed and our local WM closed down their fabric dept. This location had a lot of good quality fabric. Our LQS owner put a lot on the line to open this shop for the quilters in the community. Now she is also trying to accommodate other sewers in the area by supplying them with threads, notions, and fabrics. She is also offering classes in quilting and basic sewing. I feel we need to support her for her loyalty to us at a time when we were having to drive 30 or more miles to buy fabric and supplies.
Our LQS has a variety of fabrics whose prices vary. IMHO, she doesn't buy junk. She is a quilter herself.

Last edited by GailG; 01-16-2012 at 05:59 AM.
Old 01-16-2012, 06:04 AM

I have traveled a bit and almost always find myself needing to go to Walmart for tooth paste or some other essential item. Of course I always check out the fabric department and there is a lot of difference from store to store. That said, the service is poor in almost all the stores....every box store is under staffed.
Old 01-16-2012, 06:06 AM

I buy stuff there. Just got to check it out as to quality - feel, look, pull, etc. You got to check it out. I have found some of the same things at quilt stores. Just weigh quality against price.
Old 01-16-2012, 06:12 AM

If your looking for LQS quality they don't sell that high quality. Like most, it depends on what you can afford. I buy Walmart fabric and have found some decent fabric, then there is some garbage. I think it also depends on the store. Our dept. manager orders some of her fabrics and that seems to be better quality and she is even bringing in collections.
Old 01-16-2012, 06:15 AM

Again, watch the brand! Walmart sells Cranston of Paduca which is very nice, high quality fabric that you will pay 10.00 a yard at Joannes and 4.00 per yard at Walmart. You have to be careful and pay attention....some of it is junk and some is great. Service - never has been good at Walmart. At our Walmart you cannot even buy ice cream because it has melted by the time you get to check out...they lines are so long and they never have enough checkers. I make a habit of cruising the fabric department whenever I get the nerve to go to Walmart and suffer...but I look at the brand of the fabric. Shopping Walmart fabric department is nearly like going to a Goodwill store, you never know what you will find.
Old 01-16-2012, 06:18 AM

You are very wise to support this shop. I have lived in El Paso for 4 years and during that time I have watched 3 quilt shops, one in Las Cruces, NM, go belly up. It is disturbing to have only Walmart or Joanne's in which to buy your fabric, let me tell you!
Old 01-16-2012, 06:25 AM

Angry

My Walmart no longer carries fabric, I envy those of you who have a Walmart with fa bric near you.
Old 01-16-2012, 06:39 AM

Default Don't buy their flannel.

I bought some flannel online for my grandson's quilt, and bought contrasting flannel at walmart, and it was interesting to see the difference when they were washed. I have never seen anything fuzz up so much! Unfortunately, my daughter saw a flannel that she loved there and really wanted me to make her daughter a puff quilt with it. I purchased the fabric before I found out about the low quality, and I'm going ahead with the puff quilt, but I'm very disappointed. Will never buy anything there again that I want to last.
Old 01-16-2012, 06:47 AM

My Walmart has good quality quilting fabric plus they carry light fabric for making clothing etc. This winter they opened a Joannne's store near us and the fabric is just as good as Walmart.